Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is planning to hold two public meetings on the proposals to list and designate critical habitat for the Sierra Nevada yellow-legged frog, the northern distinct population segment of the mountain yellow-legged frog, and the Yosemite toad.

The public meetings are planned to be held in Bridgeport on Wednesday January 8, 2014 from 1 – 3 p.m. and in Fresno on Monday, January 13, 2014 from 1 – 3 p.m. A public notice with more details is attached and pasted below. For further information, please visit: Public Advisory December 27, 2013

Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you.

[FONT=garamond, serif]********[/FONT] [FONT=garamond, serif]Robert Moler
[/FONT][FONT=garamond, serif]External Affairs - Sacramento Fish and Wildlife Office[/FONT]
[FONT=garamond, serif]U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Department of Interior[/FONT]
[FONT=garamond, serif][email protected], 916.414.6606[/FONT]

Public Notice: For Immediate Release - 27 December 2013

Service Announces Public Meetings for Sierra Amphibian Proposals
Sacramento - The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) has scheduled two public meetings in January 2014 on the proposals to list and designate critical habitat for the Sierra Nevada yellow-legged frog, the northern distinct population segment of the mountain yellow-legged frog, and the Yosemite toad.

The first public meeting is planned to be held in Mono County on Wednesday, January 8, 2014 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Mono County Board of Supervisors Chambers at the Mono County Courthouse (upstairs); State Highway 395 North; Bridgeport, CA 93517. This meeting is planned to be broadcasted to the Mono County Board of Supervisors Meeting Room on the 3rd Floor of the Sierra Center Mall; 452 Old Mammoth Road; Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546. After the meeting, there will be informal breakout sessions held in Bridgeport.

The second public meeting is planned to be held in Fresno County on Monday, January 13, 2014 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Fresno County Board of Supervisors Chambers; Hall of Records, Room 301; 2281 Tulare Street; Fresno, CA 93721. Service personnel will be available after the meeting for further discussion.

The Service will present information and address questions and concerns at the public meetings about the proposals and, if it is available, the draft economic analysis for the proposed critical habitat rule. The draft economic analysis is expected to be available to the public early January 2014. A public hearing on the proposals and draft economic analysis is planned to be held in Sacramento in January 2014. The date, time and venue for the public hearing will be announced when the draft economic analysis is available to the public.

On April 25, 2014, the Service proposed to list the two frogs as Endangered Species and the toad as a Threatened Species. At the same time, the Service proposed to designate 1,831,820 acres critical habitat for the three amphibians in California; 97% of the proposed designation is located on federal lands.

The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife, plants, and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. We are both a leader and trusted partner in fish and wildlife conservation, known for our scientific excellence, stewardship of lands and natural resources, dedicated professionals, and commitment to public service. For more information on our work and the people who make it happen, visit www.fws.gov/cno. Connect with our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/usfwspacificsouthwest, follow our tweets at http://twitter.com/USFWSPacSWest, watch our YouTube Channel at USFWS - YouTube and download photos from our Flickr page at Flickr: USFWS Pacific Southwest Region's Photostream.
###​

Upvote 0

Question (prediction)- What happens when the Yosemite Toad, and Yellow Legged Frog's infect the remaining vertebrate amphibians of California? The reality is people have once again screwed with mother nature and now areas that had these frogs and toads don't. It happens for all kinds of reasons on a daily basis, species come and species go, not trying to sound heartless here. I'm a realist and common sense is telling me that preservation and enhancement of a species that is easily infected and highly contagious, may not be in the best interest of the remaining vertebrate amphibious species.

Last edited:
If it were up to CBD and the rest of the green nazis, we would all be dodging dinosuars, and eating do do birds

If it were up to CBD and the rest of the green nazis, we would all be dodging dinosuars, and eating do do birds

Ron- didn't you know there is no such thing as "survival of the fittest" and evolution. For 6 billion years, the earth has done ok on its own, eliminating the species that couldn't adapt.

I guess the enviros need a (taxpayer funded) job putting everyone else out of business and upsetting the earth's natural processes.

Any news or feedback from the Bridgeport meeting, how was the attendance? Same rhetoric or anything new?

I sent this letter to Mr. Moler prior to the meeting on Monday

Mr. Moler

I am very disappointed that in a state with a population of 38 million, that the Forest Service has not scheduled enough meeting sites throughout the state, to give Californians a chance to voice there displeasure with the closing of 1.8 million acres of land. A meeting time of 1-3 p.m .ensures that most working people will not be able to attend. And the choice of Brideport, a town of 575, at 6,500 feet in elevation, in the middle of January, further reduces the chances of many to attend. I am assuming that this is by design, and that the Forest Service did this so fewer people will see what a folly critical habitat is in regards to the saving of the frogs. I look forward to your meeting in Fresno on the 13th.

Respectively,

Recievd this from Mr. Moler today, apparently there are a total of six meetings and a third comment period and says it can be found in a link that he does not provide.

Ron,

Thanks for your message. As you probably know, the Bridgeport meeting was the 5th meeting in a serious of of outreach events coordinated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Forest Service, and the California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife for the 3 Sierra amphibian proposed listing and critical habitat rules. Fresno will be the 6th public meeting in as many counties and we'll have a public hearing in Sacramento on January 30th. We are using our resources as efficiently as possible, but we cannot support the number of meetings as we and others would like. To help, we have also set up a webpage where the public can access information and resources about these proposals. I've included that link below. Today we are reopening a third public comment period so that the public can submit comments on the proposals.

These proposals certainly do not suggest doing closing 1.8 million acres of lands. I look forward to addressing more of your concerns at the Fresno meeting. We appreciate your engagement.

Thank you,

[/FONT] [FONT=garamond, serif]External Affairs - Sacramento Fish and Wildlife Office[/FONT]
[FONT=garamond, serif]U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Department of Interior[/FONT]

Latest...

Mr. Holt,

Thanks for your further inquiry. The first public engagement was hosted and facilitated by Congressmen McClintock and Nunez in Sonora on August 6, 2013. Over 400 people attended that forum. The second and third were hosted and facilitated by Congressman Nunez in Nevada City and Auburn on September 4, 2013. Over 150 people attended those two forums. The fourth was hosted by Inyo County Board of Supervisors in Bishop on September 23, 2013. That was a special session of the Inyo County Board of Supervisors. These meetings were announced by the Congressional offices, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Office, County Boards of Supervisors, and local news media.

I do respect your point of view and genuinely look forward to further discussion. These proposals are much different than the spotted owl issues.

I've attached a few other resources for you. One is a news release that I will send out later today to announce the availability of the draft economic analysis for the 3 Sierra amphibian proposed critical habitat rule. I've attached that document as well for you reference. I've also attached a draft agenda for the meeting in Fresno.

I hope this helps. Thank you for your engagement.

[/FONT] [FONT=garamond, serif]External Affairs - Sacramento Fish and Wildlife Office[/FONT]

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 6:44 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:
Mr. Moler

Your original e-mail only shows two meetings, Bridgeport and Fresno. Can you tell me where I can g find a listing of the other 4 meeting times and sites and when the the third public comment period willl begin and end. I would have to respectively disagree on closure, and would cite the previous spotted owl debacle as evidence of how this has worked in the past and can only assume how it will continue to work in the future.
Thank you very much for your quick response.

Sincerely,

Ron Holt

In a message dated 1/10/2014 ,:19:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
Ron,

Thanks for your message. As you probably know, the Bridgeport meeting was the 5th meeting in a serious of of outreach events coordinated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Forest Service, and the California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife for the 3 Sierra amphibian proposed listing and critical habitat rules. Fresno will be the 6th public meeting in as many counties and we'll have a public hearing in Sacramento on January 30th. We are using our resources as efficiently as possible, but we cannot support the number of meetings as we and others would like. To help, we have also set up a webpage where the public can access information and resources about these proposals. I've included that link below. Today we are reopening a third public comment period so that the public can submit comments on the proposals.

These proposals certainly do not suggest doing closing 1.8 million acres of lands. I look forward to addressing more of your concerns at the Fresno meeting. We appreciate your engagement.

Thank you,

[FONT=garamond, serif]********
[FONT=garamond, serif]Robert Moler
[FONT=garamond, serif]External Affairs - Sacramento Fish and Wildlife Office

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:55 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
Mr. Moler

I am very disappointed that in a state with a population of 38 million, that the Forest Service has not scheduled enough meeting sites throughout the state, to give Californians a chance to voice there displeasure with the closing of 1.8 million acres of land. A meeting time of 1-3 p.m .ensures that most working people will not be able to attend. And the choice of Brideport, a town of 575, at 6,500 feet in elevation, in the middle of January, further reduces the chances of many to attend. I am assuming that this is by design, and that the Forest Service did this so fewer people will see what a folly critical habitat is in regards to the saving of the frogs. I look forward to your meeting in Fresno on the 13th.

Respectively,

Ron Holt

[/FONT]​
[/FONT][/FONT]

Meeting agenda

3 Sierra Amphibians Proposed Listing and Critical Habitat Rules and Draft Economic Analysis
Public Meeting – Fresno CA; Monday January 13, 1 – 3 p.m.

Goal:
Present and discuss the proposals to list and designate critical habitat for the 3 Sierra amphibians and identify and address local implications and concerns.

Agencies Represented:
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS); U.S. Forest Service (USFS); California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW); National Park Service, Fresno County Board of Supervisors (FCBOS)

Meeting Agenda:
1 – 1:15 p.m.
Introduction, meeting goals, housekeeping
FCBOS
Robert Moler, USFWS
1:15 – 1:30
Presentation: overview of proposals and draft economic analysis
Jen Norrris, USFWS
1:30 – 1:45
Interagency panel – Addressing top 10 concerns and local questions.
Jen Norris, USFWS
USFS
CDFW
Angela Picco, USFWS
Jerimiah Karuzas, USFWS
2:50 – 3:00
Wrap up and next steps
FCBOS
Robert Moler, USFWS
3:00 – 4:30
Informal discussion with agency staff
All

Materials:
· Agenda for meeting and sign in sheets
· PowerPoint presentations
· Maps of proposed critical habitat
· Questions and answers for proposed rules

Proposals Overview:
Amphibian Species
Proposed Listing Status
Proposed Critical Habitat
Range of present Value Incremental Impacts over 17 years
Low - High
Range of Annualized Incremental Impact
Low - High
Sierra Nevada yellow-legged frog
Endangered
1,105,400 acres
(24 units)
$510,000 - $1.3 M
$49,000 - $120,000
Northern DPS of the mountain yellow-legged frog
Endangered
221,498 acres
(7 units)
$23,000 to $26,000
$2,200 - $2,500
Yosemite toad
Threatened
750,926 acres
(16 units)
$95,000 – 160,000
$9,100 – $16,000

Total: 1,831,820 (with overlap)
Total:
$630,000 – $1.5 M
$60,000 - $140,000

U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service

News
Release

Department of the Interior
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Sacramento Fish and Wildlife Office
2800 Cottage Way, Room W-2605
Sacramento, CA 95825
Phone: 916/414-6600
Fax: 916/414-6713
http://www.fws.gov/sacramento/

January 10, 2014

Media Contact: Robert Moler, (916)414-6606, [email protected]

Draft Economic Analysis Available on Proposed Critical Habitat for Three Sierra Amphibians
Public Hearings Announced

Sacramento - The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) released a draft economic analysis of its proposal to designate 1,831,820 acres of critical habitat in California for the Sierra Nevada yellow-legged frog, the northern distinct population segment of the mountain yellow-legged frog, and the Yosemite toad.

The draft economic analysis estimates the costs associated with the designation of critical habitat to be $630,000 to $1.5 million over 17 years (2014 to 2030). With 97% of the proposed critical habitat designated on federal lands, the estimated costs of the designations are largely associated with federal agency consultations for actions on federal lands such as fish stocking, water operations, grazing, and recreation.

On April 25, 2013, the Service published in the Federal Register two proposals to list and designate critical habitat for the three amphibians and opened a 60 day comment period. During and after the initial comment period, the Service received several requests from the public to extend the comment period. On July 18, 2013, the Service reopened the public comment period for 120 days that closed on November 18, 2013.

The release of the draft economic analysis opens a new 60 day comment period that will close March 11, 2014. The public is invited to submit information on the draft economic analysis as well as the proposals to list and designate critical habitat.

“Comments from the public help the Service make a final decision that reflects the best information available,” said Jennifer Norris, Field Supervisor for the Sacramento Fish and Wildlife Office. “We especially want to invite businesses and economic stakeholders that operate in and around proposed critical habitat areas to carefully review and submit comments on the draft economic analysis.”

Comments may be submitted online at the Federal eRulemaking Portal at http://www.regulations.gov. The Docket Number for the proposed listing rule is FWS–R8–ES–2012–0100 and for the proposed critical habitat rule and draft economic analysis is FWS–R8–ES–2012–0074. Comments can also be sent by U.S. mail to:
Public Comments Processing
Attn: FWS–R8–ES–2012–0100 or FWS–R8–ES–2012–0074
Division of Policy and Directives Management
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Drive, MS 2042-PDM

The Service will hold a public hearing on the proposed rules and draft economic analysis on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at the Sacramento Horsemen’s Association; 3200 Longview Drive; Sacramento, CA 95821. The first hearing session will start at 1:00 p.m. with doors opening at 12:30. A second hearing session will start at 6:00 p.m. with doors opening at 5:30. Written and verbal testimony will be accepted at the public hearing.

Thank you for your ongoing engagement with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

TODAY IS MEETING DAY, IF YOU CAN STAND UP AND BE COUNTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great work Oak

Everyone from the ranchers to the bird watchers needs to oppose the listings. Everyone will be kept out of the habitat once implemented

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back