Tiny Box... for what?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Found with other items dating back to late 1860s but may be from 1930... So anyone’s guess or research is appreciated.

Silver box (currently flattened as dug) that is ¼ inch square and 1 5/8 inch long. It’s seems to be plated brass… or um… :-\ I dunno.

On the ¼ inch square bottom (or uncrushed end) it is printed: Pat. Pend Made in USA and on the side is printed: First Row: Gimonel Cream Tex. Second Row: Indelible.
Third Row: New York Paris London

I think I see it spelled "Gimonel" correctly, it's hard to read on the item.

I think it could have held a small amount of makeup, pen nibs, or... ??? ??? ??? Whatcha think?

Attachments

• siver box.JPG
    siver box.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 347
First thought for something that small would be snuff, but they were usually round, weren't they?

"Indelible" as in indelible ink, might suggest the nibs. But the size seems a bit small.

???

Upvote 0
Using a magnifying glass, I think I see a "t" instead of an "L" on the end of the first word. So maybe it's GIMONET instead? Paris, London, New York used to be the three major cities for high fashion, maybe something to do with clothing or jewelry? It's patented, so maybe it's part of a jewelry clasp? It's got some designs on it, so it was meant to be seen and appreciated I suspect.

Upvote 0
I think it may be some sort of c. 1930's cosmetics container.

Searching "cream" + "indelible" brought up a number of hits on eyeliner, mascara, etc.

I also agree with Treasure Tales on reading it as "Gimonet."

Here is a link to a 1935 patent granted to Alexandre Gimonet for a mascara applicator:

http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid...&SectionNum=&idkey=NONE&Input=View+first+page

and one in 1932 for a lipstick holder:

http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid...&SectionNum=&idkey=NONE&Input=View+first+page

Upvote 0
TT and PBK... Yes, you are right. Gimonet. Hmmm... I have another spelling which sends me back to Google! LOL

PBK... I think you have me in the right ballpark!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back