three to sleuth

tesorobandit

May 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All ,
I have three puzzlers. First, the short nose bullet-not the impact one- has a peculiar base that I eludes identification. There is a primary ring then a conical impression thoughts? Next is a bras "B" . Seems too big for a kepi. next is a copper bullet shaped container with what seems a cap that I dare not pry off because when I shake I hear a grainy shake sound. 2 1/2 " long. Rather light to hold.
Thanks
TB

Attachments

• DSC02339.JPG
    DSC02339.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC02340.JPG
    DSC02340.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC02338.jpg
    DSC02338.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC02337.JPG
    DSC02337.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC02336.JPG
    DSC02336.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 140
Your bullet could be a Tom Greene. We would need to know the measurements to correctly I.D. it. What general area was it found? A lot of them come out of Texas and La. Tennessee digger

Upvote 0
some comparisons

Your bullet could be a Tom Greene. We would need to know the measurements to correctly I.D. it. What general area was it found? A lot of them come out of Texas and La. Tennessee digger
I live in rich, rich, richmond va.
I have submitted one more pic to compare sizes. The find is to the left of the 3 ring minie (north w/ star int.) The two smaller are just other finds. I think they are older, but around here, you never know: a lot of holiday (4th and new years) firearms.
I found a 10 in saber fragment yesterday- quite rusty, but a good find.
TB

Attachments

• DSC02341.JPG
    DSC02341.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
The copper "bullet" shaped tube is lipstick.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

DCMatt
you are kidding about the lipstick-right?
This was found 8" deep.

Upvote 0
About your 2.5"-long brass tube:
It does resemble a Lipstick tube, and that's what it might be. But it also looks like a "Match-Safe." Before the invention of waterproof matches, a Match-Safe was a small (pocket-sized) tightly-closing brass container for soldiers (and "pioneers," etc) to keep a supply of matches dry. The sound you say you hear when you shake it may be some loose matches still inside it.

About your letter B:
Despite its resemblance to the stamped-brass US Army company letters, the unusually large cast-brass letters with tack-like pins on the back are now known to not be a Military insignia. They have been found on civilian leather horsegear, and there is no match-up for them in Army Regulations.

About your mystery-bullet:
It appears to be a .577/.58-caliber Enfield minie-ball which has been "pulled" from the back end, by what is called a Double-Helix bulletwork. I'll attach a couple of photos, showing a Double-Helix bulletworm, and some other minie-balls which were backwards-pulled. Sometimes a soldier erroneously loaded a minie backwards into the rifle barrel, and tried to "pull" it with a Double-Helix bulletworm. But the spiral pointed arms of the Double-Helix worm tended to just dig a circular trench into the minie's base-rim. You'll see what I mean in the photo.

Attachments

• minie_basepulled_photobyPIA-Gary_MS_PULLE001.jpg
    minie_basepulled_photobyPIA-Gary_MS_PULLE001.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 91
  • gunpart_bulletworm_double-helix_US-Model1861_NONDUG_sideview_photobyShilohrelics.jpg
    gunpart_bulletworm_double-helix_US-Model1861_NONDUG_sideview_photobyShilohrelics.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Upvote 0
About your 2.5"-long brass tube:
It does resemble a Lipstick tube, and that's what it might be. But it also looks like a "Match-Safe." Before the invention of waterprrof matches, a Match-Safe was a small (pocket-sized) tightly-closing brass container for soldiers (and "pioneers," etc) to keep a supply of matches dry. The sound you say you hear when you shake it may be some loose matches still inside it.

About your letter B:
Despite its resemblance to the stamped-brass US Army company letters, the large cast-brass letters with tack-like pins on the back are now known to not be a Military insignia. They have been found on civilian leather horsegear, and there is no match-up for them in Army Regulations.

About your mystery-bullet:
It appears to be a .577/.58-caliber Enfield minie-ball which has been "pulled" from the back end, by what is called a Double-Helix bulletwork. I'll attach a couple of photos, showing a Double-Helix bulletworm, and some other minie-balls which were ackwards-pulled. Sometimes a soldier erroneously loaded a minie backwards into the rifle barrel, and tried to "pull" it with a Double-Helix bulletworm. But the spiral pointed arms of the Double-Helix worm tended to just dig a circular trench into the minie's base-rim. You'll see what I mean in the photo.

Great sleuthing all around!
The pulled bullet theory is beyond sound-spot on IMO. The "B" was too large for to be a kepi, but was the font was quite similar, so not military. I guess I have to tinker with the Lipstick/Match holder a bit. BOOOOOMMM!
Thanks all.
Bandito

Upvote 0

DCMatt
I would agree,see no worry about boom,:laughing7: Most likely dried up lip stick I've got quite a few over the years some are neat with cool figures & such on them,but below is one much like yours.As said check the end most are marked with Co.Names.

Attachments

• 001_1.JPG
    001_1.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 86
  • 002_1.JPG
    002_1.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0
Here's a photo which shows how a Double-Helix bulletworm was intended to work. Its spiral "double corkscrew" shape worked pretty well on a minie-ball's nose ...but it had difficulty getting a grip on a minie's base.

Please note, one of the two spiraling iron arms is broken off the Double-Helix bulletworm in the photo. But it shows how the pointed arms dug into the minie's conical nose.

Attachments

• gunpart_bulletworm-and-minie_put-together_no-rust_5a18_12.jpg
    gunpart_bulletworm-and-minie_put-together_no-rust_5a18_12.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back