Three interesting items, Lions Club, Silver and Stalin?

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First up is a (presumably) brass medal with gold plate. It says Lions International, Zone "2", June 1939. It has a naval motif with a large ship and two fish. Any info? Is that date significant?
IMG_20190612_220740.jpgIMG_20190612_220753.jpg
Next up is a lead button (?) With silver plate. It's octagonal with textured edges. The guy looks like Lenin or Stalin to me? I'd this a button? Anyone know who it is?
IMG_20190612_220813.jpgIMG_20190612_220824.jpg
Final is a silver disk with a small hole. Is this just an earring? I'm confused because there's no decoration. It's just a disk with a hole.
IMG_20190612_220910.jpg

That second item is a top to a tube of something. I cant remember if its glue, ointment, hair dressing or toothpaste but I saw it before

Upvote 0
Man that Lions club medal is super cool! Great find Sir!

If you can figure out where "zone 2" is, you might be able to find their history. I suspect its a convention or something.

Upvote 0
Don't know about the ship but I'm seeing online that the first Little League baseball game was played June 1939 in Willoamsport PA with Lion's Club sponsorship. Nice badge!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That second item is a top to a tube of something. I cant remember if its glue, ointment, hair dressing or toothpaste but I saw it before

Thanks! I knew it was familiar to me, but couldn't place it. That makes sense .

Upvote 0
Man that Lions club medal is super cool! Great find Sir!

If you can figure out where "zone 2" is, you might be able to find their history. I suspect its a convention or something.

Near as I can tell, they use Zones as the regional district. But from what I've seen there are multiple Zone 2s.

Upvote 0
Yeah, Lenin was bald, Stalin had a brush cut so I think this is probably a Brill Cream tube. "A little dab'll do ya!"

I don't think the Lions would be giving a cruise for a Lion's promotion, but who knows. I think the ship is the Queen Mary. Perhaps the recognition is for activism
re the lend lease act or relief for the English civilian victims of the blitz!

Upvote 0
That's the same head!

Upvote 0
Can't really help identify the Lions Club pin (where it's from), but the fact that it has a four-funnel liner on it is interesting (at least to me). Only 14 were ever built - you might recognize a few of them: Lusitania, Titanic, Olympic, Britannic, Mauretania, and Aquitania. You can see the full list on wikipedia: https://wikivisually.com/wiki/Four-funnel_liner.

Also, the 2 fish appear to be dolphins. It's all kind of similar to the U.S. Submarine Warfare insignia:
Deep Wave Dolphins 4-11-17.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back