This Will Stump The Panel.....

May 6, 2006
Hi, Two pictures of a wire earring. It's probably a single strand of twisted white gold wire curled three times with little caps on each end. Found last month on Hilton Head Island in the surf. The bulldozers were at work replenishing the beach and were scraping huge ruts in the sand/surf. It was about 2AM and they were yelling at me to clear the area. They said that the safety inspector would shut them down if I were seen detecting so close to the 5 bulldozers that they were using. But it was worth the risk...until they caught me.
This area saw its zenith up until the Union invasion of 1862. Then, after the war, the area was left to the freed slaves until the mid 1950's. Now Hilton Head property sells for millions.
The question is: What is the name of the style of the pictured earring? When was that style popular?
BTW, pray that your favorite beach isn't visited by a beach replenishment company...They've covered treasures with off shore sand for years to come.
Thank you for looking! And thank you in advance for your posted opinion.

Attachments

• MVC-003L.JPG
    MVC-003L.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 634
It's probably the simplest way to make a ring - wrap wire around a mandrel. Used from the bronze age to right now. It would catch on everything as a finger ring. I'm guessing toe ring from the past 20 years or so.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, ring it is. Toe ring? I don't think so. The wrong shape, and usually toe rings don't have a complete band...they have a space in the band so that a variety of toes can wear the ring...big toe, middle toe, little toe, whichever.

As far as the period or style of ring, I haven't a clue. Doesn't appear to be something all that old to me, either. But I'm sure no expert on anything.

Upvote 0
I vote for key ring also. It's made so that it can spring open and retighten to hold something. If you put that on your toe or finger it would cut off the blood circulation. Monty

Upvote 0
Other have already said this and I agree, it's a finger ring. And that style has been around for ages, used on bracelet too.

aka Ant the Leprechaun, now where's me gold?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back