This one is giving me problems

mxdigger

Jun 30, 2013
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This point was found in central Va. I've asked several people about it and one says this and another says that. I don't think it is a Guilford because it is too thin. It's been thinned on both sides up to about 1/3rd of the way up the blade. The base is straight, and the basil corners seem to be squared off at about a 45* angle. The base seems to have been snapped off or ground flat. One guy said it could be possible a Stanfield as the description matches a lot of the traits of that point other than the location is a tad off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1024.JPG
    IMG_1024.JPG
    446.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1025.JPG
    IMG_1025.JPG
    434.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1027.JPG
    IMG_1027.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1028.JPG
    IMG_1028.JPG
    379.7 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 5
This point was found in central Va. I've asked several people about it and one says this and another says that. I don't think it is a Guilford because it is too thin. It's been thinned on both sides up to about 1/3rd of the way up the blade. The base is straight, and the basil corners seem to be squared off at about a 45* angle. The base seems to have been snapped off or ground flat. One guy said it could be possible a Stanfield as the description matches a lot of the traits of that point other than the location is a tad off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Wow. I don’t want to be the rain cloud hovering over the proverbial parade, but..
I’m not certain it’s even an artifact. One picture may have a little possibility, but over all, I see a rock.
Was it found in fast-moving water? If so, possibly the tumbling wiped out the signs of workmanship.
Hopefully someone with better insight will be able to help.
Thanks for posting.👍🏼

That’s a tough one with the damage but I believe it had ears. Maybe a Guilford Yuma. I’ve got a slender Guilford I found last year but it’s larger and not a Yuma just regular

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpeg
    IMG_0906.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 24
Quartzite, or orthoquartzite like that point is very hard to knap. The end product always looks rough. About impossible to add notches, they usually end up stemmed and are difficult to classify. The poor east coast Indians weren’t blessed with good chipping lithics.

Definitely a point but hard to type. I would agree with Creekside. Looks Guilford to me but the material makes it tough. The base is the most questionable part because it looks like it was possibly stemmed and snapped off.

Wow. I don’t want to be the rain cloud hovering over the proverbial parade, but..
I’m not certain it’s even an artifact. One picture may have a little possibility, but over all, I see a rock.
Was it found in fast-moving water? If so, possibly the tumbling wiped out the signs of workmanship.
Hopefully someone with better insight will be able to help.
Thanks for posting.👍🏼
Thanks, it's defiantly been worked; the edges are still pretty sharp. It's really thin about 1/3rd of the way up from the base. The base is weird because it looks like it could have been snapped off or it could have been ground that way. It was in a creek, so it probably was washed pretty good. I know it's not the best pictures as all I have is an I phone and pretty bad lighting.

That’s a tough one with the damage but I believe it had ears. Maybe a Guilford Yuma. I’ve got a slender Guilford I found last year but it’s larger and not a Yuma just regular
I was looking at that but it's just too thin all over especially up from the base. I can't see it being any type of Guilford just for that reason. All of the Guilford's I have are your typical thick Lanceolate shape. All accept the several I have that are uni-faced. Yes, it does look like it possibly had ears but it's hard to say for sure. I wanted to add that it matches the description of a Cobbs triangular pretty close. Not saying that's what it is I'm just throwing it out there. Looking at it closer it does look like it is beveled on one side of each face.

Last edited:
Definitely a point but hard to type. I would agree with Creekside. Looks Guilford to me but the material makes it tough. The base is the most questionable part because it looks like it was possibly stemmed and snapped off.
Thanks, I do agree with the base part, but I still can't see it being a Guilford just because of how thin it is all over but especially the thinned part 1/3 rd. up from the base. It may very well be it's just hard for me to see. lol

I was looking at that but it's just too thin all over especially up from the base. I can't see it being any type of Guilford just for that reason. All of the Guilford's I have are your typical thick Lanceolate shape. All accept the several I have that are uni-faced. Yes, it does look like it possibly had ears but it's hard to say for sure. I wanted to add that it matches the description of a Cobbs triangular pretty close. Not saying that's what it is I'm just throwing it out there. Looking at it closer it does look like it is beveled on one side of each face.
I thought mine was a big Dalton when I found it. I also have a quartz straight base Guilford that looks like a knife type.

I thought mine was a big Dalton when I found it. I also have a quartz straight base Guilford that looks like maybe a knife type.
Yeah, I have a couple Guilford's that look like they could be knifes or maybe some type of scraper they are pretty small though. I said earlier that the edges look like they may have been beveled but looking at it several more times I think I would call it thinning rather than beveling. It also matches the description of a Kirk blade accept the location is a little too far north for that.

Yeah, I have a couple Guilford's that look like they could be knifes or maybe some type of scraper they are pretty small though. I said earlier that the edges look like they may have been beveled but looking at it several more times I think I would call it thinning rather than beveling. It also matches the description of a Kirk blade accept the location is a little too far north for that.
I’m in Georgia and find points from SC, Ala, and TN which are states that circle my area. So might not be far as you think. Books aren’t always correct. That Guilford I posted isn’t found in my area but as you can see I have one.

I’m in Georgia and find points from SC, Ala, and TN which are states that circle my area. So might not be far as you think. Books aren’t always correct. That Guilford I posted isn’t found in my area but as you can see I have one.
Yeah, I see that's a nice point. I have one that almost matches other than the material. one of these days hopefully I'll find a show nearby where T can take several points I have and hopefully get an id for them.

Attachments

• IMG_1122 - Copy.JPEG
    IMG_1122 - Copy.JPEG
    469.7 KB · Views: 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back