This is why I dig all the zincs

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Photo on 10-8-17 at 5.12 PM.jpgPhoto on 10-8-17 at 5.13 PM.jpgPhoto on 10-8-17 at 5.14 PM.jpg

Went out to a 1927 school today to try my luck. I used the V3i and Detect 12 x 15 coil as usual. On the V3i zincs and wheats come in about the same 52-58 VDI and dominant on the red bar. SO usually if you don't want to dig as many zincs you only dig the deeper ones. I like to clean the ground of most signals so I dig all zincs hoping for a wheat. Today I got six wheats. The shallowest was only 3" down in tree roots on a sloping hill. It turned out to be a 1931 S (only 880,000 minted). Also dug a Catholic Sterling cross and 1963 dime. Plus 49 other clad and 2 pieces of costume jewelry. Thanks for looking and good hunting

Upvote 35
Hah! I gotta Merc n the exact same pendant on a quick hunt about two weeks ago! Nicely done! 🙌

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

That's a pretty rare coin! For me, zinc signals are very high numbers out in the woods, it is anything below around 50 (foil is 40s) that I sometimes question about digging. It seems like any pre-war cent shows up as zincoln numbers, always worth digging! Congrats on such a rare coin, and some nice silver!

Great, amazing, and spectacular!

Great hunt! Nice rare wheat, and silver to boot...

The 31S is really a sweet little find.

I like sterling too.

Best of luck to you sir.

Nice finds! Wow, I just did a quick and dirty Google search and it shows the average value of that penny to be $100 and, if in good enough condition, up to $185! (I only checked one site and this may or may not be accurate) I know next to nothing about coins and this amazes me. I am glad you shared this info with us.

Bill

Now I need to go through my wheats!!

Congrats on your finds, :occasion14: 3 keepers make for a good hunt. I dig zincs because that's the range where IHC's ring in. One can never dig too many IHCs or wheats. :icon_thumleft:

whoa that is a great find :o:weee:

Congratualtions on the very nice coin recovery and a few silver items. :occasion14:

In school yards, I dig everything above iron...some really cool finds "pop" out of the ground with low and zinc VDI's.:icon_thumright:

Nice key date there good catch

Gotta' love it when the lowly innocent Wheatie turn out to be a KILLER!:o:whip2: I dig nearly every repeatable signal I can unless I am about to fall over from unearthing pull tabs from a park. I dig my zincolns to get my Indians. Very similar VDI numbers on my Makro Racer 2 and other machines as well. Big surprise and score on that way rare old Wheatie!:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back