This is what a bad day onion hunting looks like!

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado

Attachments

• trash.jpg
    trash.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0
See all the trash, thats why you find so many rings...theres a lesson in this picture...HH

Onion,

How many hours of detecting does this picture represent?

Rod

Hi Onion. This is my very first posting to the forum. Sorry about your bad day. I have been reading the forum for awhile now and I have been very impressed with all you finds. I know you use a lower end BH. As a matter of fact you inspired me to go out and purchase a BH Pioneer 505. I have a Fisher Impulse UW detector also. I love the Fisher but it has no discrimination features and will pick up all metal. I got the BH to use mainly as a land detector. I'm still learning it but love it so far! I was wondering if you had any favorite settings for the BH that allowed you to discrimate between aluminum caps, tabs, etc. and all the great rings you have found. It looks as if you dig most or all targets. Any tips would be greatly appreicated. Hopefully tomorrow will yeild you some of those great rings your becoming famous for. HH and good luck tomorrow.

Oops. :)
I read the post again and you already said it was 3 hours :), I guess I'm just tired.

Where did you go today to get all that trash? A park? a school? what?

Rod

Diver,

I hunt at Zero discrimination and the sensitivity at one O'Clock and in the tone mode.

I dig all solid tones broken tone indicate foil and trash but as you can see by my pic I can't pass up to many targets broken or solid.

Onion

Onion,

I had a pretty bad day as well, only .98 cents in clad today. I did find a Canadian penny though. It's nothing special but it was my first Canadian penny I've ever found. It's dated 1989. That was cool to find.

I got tons of trash as well. I didn't keep it for a photo though :)

Rod

I went to a park where I have found a couple of nice rings and I thought I would clean the area that's a real trash heap to see if I could find some more rings ?it will take a couple more trips there to get all the trash out hopefully I will find a keeper in the trash heap.

Onion

Hopefully!

It's a lot of work your taken on, but it's a good plan I think.

Let us know if you get another ring out of that area.

Goodnight,
Rod

There is a park near my house that I'm dying to detect but everytime I go by there it's loaded with people and kids. I just don't feel right MD'n in the middle of people. I'll need to get by there early in the morning one day. I mention this because I was just thinking that the haul from there the first few times will probably look like what you have here :-\ Oh well. someone has to do it, right :)

Rod

that 3 hours worth of trash looks like a couple of days for me! how do you find the targets so quickly? do you use a pinpointer? and what do you dig with? sorry for the third degree, but I sure could use some advice in these areas! 8)

Yeah yeah yeah, the point is a bad day detecting beats a good day ... fill in the blank! ?Onion, You have been doing a excellent job of clearing the masking away from deeper, older targets and this will pay off. ?At the very least, you did a good community service and that's all good. ?i carry a bucket in the car for such debris and it seldom goes unused.

Omnicognic,

I sold my pinpointer it just seemed to slow me down and it was only good to one inch of the target.

I don't dig deep witch means I can dig 10 times to targets of the guys going for the 6 to 12 inch range and the odd of finding the rings goes up with the numbers :D I refuse to dig past 6 inches to much work I will leave the old coins for the guys that hunt for them I want the clad and rings.

I use a 8 inch knife and a probe to dig with if you need a pic of the knife let me know and I will post it.

Onion

Was wondering Onion, what your ratio is for ..........

I was just wondering what your dig ration is for trash? ?Like every 10 digs is trash and 11th is keeper> ?Thats just an example. ?Thanks

So Onion,

Let me understand this correctly,....you dig every shallow target regardless of what it signals as? trash, goodies, etc.?

If it's not too much trouble, could you post that pic of your knife/digging tool as you suggested?

Thanks Onion,

Rod

hey Onionhead
looks like the same parks I visit ;),think I need a handheld unit so 's I can just crawl along the ground ;D
anyway just wanted to say thanks for the post its sometimes makes a newcomer like myself feel a little better knowin a vets digs, can look like mine ,that is on one of your, off days! ;D
ohh and lookin at your pic I think I see a quarter ora a nickle sittin on top of that heap of trash you may have overlooked ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back