This is gonna be good.....

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Thats what I was thinking as I stood just inside a 1-1/2 acre "old growth" woodlot near the old school. The school had a monument date of 1908 and the woodlot was just accross the ballfield. The lot had been freshly mowed and the only trees on it were sparcley scattered oaks you couldnt reach your arms around.I was only ten steps in and had dug , in this order ...a 1960d penny , a 1942 penny , and a 1919 buffalo nickle...
To make a long story short....4 hours later I retreated with a handful of clad , three more wheats , and a couple of misc. things. I cant really complain but.......Im gonna anyway....what the hell...I thought I was gonna find a bunch of old loot...what kind of bait and switch is this....c'mon history, throw me a bone!

Oh well.....better luck next time....H.H. JO

Attachments

• 7-24 finds.jpg
    7-24 finds.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 431
Upvote 0
A good time, battery money and peace of mind! ?Is that a transparent blue glass bead? ?Indian maybe? ?I've found two here in Germany and they are over 700 years old. ?HH, Mike

You're writting my song. This has happened to me several times. I know the silver should be there, but....Well you know the rest of the story. On the flip side though, a few times those out of the way spots have paid off, so keep search-in.

Jopher,
I think that is probably to story of most MDers lifes. I know it fits me perfectly. Pretty nice haul though. I would take another trip there after a good rain and see if any deeper older stuff pops out.

Keep at it.

Deadshot

Hey, I'll trade with you ! In my book you still did good. Better luck next time !

Huntin' 59er

Seriously now folks , I really had a good hunt today. As far as the ground conditions , I went immediately after a four hour thundershower.The ground was saturated sandy clay.I worked the area hard and even went back over the trashier areas with my disc. up a bit to try and pull some silver.I figure this area must have been hit hard prior to 1980.Pretty much all the clad dates were above that.The buffalo and the wheat were only 2-3" under so I dont think there were any depth problems.Im sure Ill find my way back there again someday and poke around some more. ? By the way....Good eye Mike....that is a transparent blue glass bead , but Im sure its a late model edition. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? H.H......JO

Things are not always as they seem. I have dug junk from "good " sites and found good stuff at places I didn't give a second look! The "bullet", actually a cartridge looks like either a .22 Hornet or .32-20, or even a .22 magnum, hard to tell from the picture. JIM

The cartridge is a .22 mag "Super X". I found another cartridge the other day that was new to me.Its a 25.20 with "W.R.A.Co W.C.F. "on the base...any info on that....just curious.
Thanks....JO

W.C.F. Just a guess--Winchester center fire. That looks like a load of pretty good stuff. You should see (or not) some of the worthless crap I dig up from what I thought would be great spots. Barely find much clad :(

HH

BC

The headstamp on you cartridge stands for Winchester Repeating Arms Co.? The headstamp was used 1866 to 1932, the Super X is also Winchester and is from the 1950's on up.

Nice haul no matter!

HH

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back