Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2024

Attachments

• Image (16).jpg
    Image (16).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
Upvote 19
Anyone know anything about thimbles?

I unfortunately know nothing about them and would love any resources on being able to date them if anyone has any to share!

Thanks!
Welcome aboard! Thimbles are very cool to find. The best one I found was silver but I also like the ones that were for advertising or promotion. Get a better picture and some folks might be able to help.

That thimble definitely has some age to it, based on it's thickness I'm thinking mid to late-19thc. :thumbsup:
It's also a good indicator that you're in an area that has seen some human activity.

Here's one I found in May on a site that had a house on it from 1840 - 60.
- Dave

Attachments

• 20240520_195814.jpg
    20240520_195814.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

I unfortunately know nothing about them and would love any resources on being able to date them if anyone has any to share!

Thanks!
I 've found many 18th century thimbles on sites with lots of buttons. In with the lots of buttons are the coins. One little thimble gets me going!

Thanks!
The problem with dating thimbles is that they haven't changed all that much in several centuries.

As far as resources, I would start with Wikipedia.
It's a pretty good article by itself, with lots of pics, but the real resources (as with all Wiki topics) are at the bottom of the page--References, Further Reading, and External Links.

Thanks!
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

That thimble definitely has some age to it, based on it's thickness I'm thinking mid to late-19thc. :thumbsup:
It's also a good indicator that you're in an area that has seen some human activity.

- Dave
Thank you for the reply!! Very nice!

- Dave
Thanks for your reply, Dave. Do you have any info on thickness and dating? Would love to learn more!!
Cheers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back