The Village Field - Day 2 - 7 Hammered again!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today the stormy weather was so bad we only had a 3 hour 15 min window & it was sticky going, but you got to play the cards your given.
It would be tempting to carry on gridding from where we found the 7 hammered's last time but when Cru'dad suggested doing the other end of the 200 acre field, I instantly agreed. It had crossed my mind, he had good signs & we have my spot in the bag.
This end the soil was heavier clay & not so many buttons & other bits & bobs. Tons of Lead again.
We were not expecting the first hammered in 10 mins & 5 within 1 hour 15 mins. Ending up with 7 after just over 3 hours is pretty crazy. The next sample will be from the middle but the Spring Pea's are sown & we may not get another go, not sure yet...

1 Scrappy (first Roman clue other than 1 nail & lead weights)
Jetton
Medieval Handle part to a Chafing Dish.
Bronze Age Axe bit (seen a couple of Neolithic wasters, so some old activity with this Bronze Age as well)
7 Hammered:
2 Edward I Pennies
Lizzy 1600 Half Groat
Lizzy 1602 Penny
2 unknown York Pennies - 1 folded
1 Folded Henry III Penny

This field has our attention now, goes up the list....

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG

Upvote 34
Today the stormy weather was so bad we only had a 3 hour 15 min window & it was sticky going, but you got to play the cards your given.
It would be tempting to carry on gridding from where we found the 7 hammered's last time but when Cru'dad suggested doing the other end of the 200 acre field, I instantly agreed. It had crossed my mind, he had good signs & we have my spot in the bag.
This end the soil was heavier clay & not so many buttons & other bits & bobs. Tons of Lead again.
We were not expecting the first hammered in 10 mins & 5 within 1 hour 15 mins. Ending up with 7 after just over 3 hours is pretty crazy. The next sample will be from the middle but the Spring Pea's are sown & we may not get another go, not sure yet...

Jetton
Bronze Age Axe bit (seen a couple of Neolithic wasters, so some old activity with this Bronze Age as well)
7 Hammered:
2 Edward I Pennies
Lizzy 1600 Half Groat
Lizzy 1602 Penny
1 Folded Henry III Penny

View attachment 2078319View attachment 2078320View attachment 2078321View attachment 2078322View attachment 2078323
Let me be the first to say congratulations 👍. You're on a hammer roll...taking a break from your sceat streak! :). Maybe call this hammer field!?

What a bunch of hammereds....Random field or not, thats way more than you can expect as accidental losses...
I like that you found bronze age. That really means long occupation starting in neolithic times .
I've been doing some research & this Village did have a market & a inland port, so it was very busy in the 13-14th C, died off in the 15th C (at least for the nearby market).

Reading the History of the Village, the earliest they talk about is Iron Age ditches, so looks like we might be pushing back that piece of History. There was also nearby Roman brick making.

Last edited:
I've been doing some research & this Village did have a market & a inland port, so it was very busy in the 13-14th C, died off in the 15th C (at least for the nearby market).

Reading the History of the Village, the earliest they talk about is Iron Age ditches, so looks like we might be pushing back that piece of History. There was also nearby Roman brick making.
Then this field will keep you going. You can always go back and get some silver!

Well played 👌
7 from each end, oh it's a coin toss on which end one would return to first.
Best solution an Am/PM
hunt day.
I'd go for the sticky end first.

Well played 👌
7 from each end, oh it's a coin toss on which end one would return to first.
Best solution an Am/PM
hunt day.
I'd go for the sticky end first.
Nope, I'm going for the middle & see if we can join up the dots. Huge area, but first impression is that we need another mega grid. Over 100 acres.

Congratulations once again Cru and CruDad! You two always find some great ones! Thanks for sharing with us all again!
Thanks this started as a calculated punt, because we generally try not to take risks and use a targeted approach. With only a 1 hour scout on a 200 acre field, we both knew it was worth a return. Old school boots on the ground & eyes on the floor.
Doesn't mean we still don't laugh at how lucky we are, consistency is not easy, but we make it look that way. One of these days I'll get the hang of this detecting lark & become an expert like those on the telly...lol

Jetton
7 Hammered:
2 Edward I Pennies
Lizzy 1600 Half Groat
Lizzy 1602 Penny
1 Folded Henry III Penny

View attachment 2078319View attachment 2078320View attachment 2078321View attachment 2078322View attachment 2078323
Outstanding!!! Congrats!!!

Great to see that you and Cru'dad are still pushing the dirt around (although I have never met your Dad, or did I (getting old and forgetting stuff). But good going, glad to see that there are some finds left in the ground, thought that I had found all of them ...:laughing7:

Crusader you are making me so envious of your finds . Do you hire out as a guide ?
NICE GOING ALSO 111

Do you hire out as a guide ?
I've helped advise newbies, but being a Guide would come with massive Legal complications, especially with the new Laws soon to come into place.

Quote "200 acre field"
That's daunting, nearly 9 million square feet. I gridded 1/2 acre, before, did it N. to S., then E. to W. find more stuff, even when you can see your tracks you miss stuff. Go back again, find more stuff, anyway.

Congrats on all those Silvers !
For you it's almost not like hunting, but rather "gathering". Yes, that a joke.

Keep them coming, your post are always VERY entertaining, and for most I'm sure enviable.

Jetton
7 Hammered:
2 Edward I Pennies
Lizzy 1600 Half Groat
Lizzy 1602 Penny
1 Folded Henry III Penny

I see gold in your future🇬🇧🏁

Two stupid questions.

1. Are those hammereds silver?
2. Do treasure trove laws apply?

Again sorry for my stupid questions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back