The Track-Way Site - Day 11 - Hammered & SAXON SCEAT...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mild day & the ground is still very dry on top, perfect conditions.
We noticed they had disced the edge of the field, not sure why yet but it might be getting close to Spring Drilling, so the pressure is on to finish soon.
15 mins shy of 6 hours;

11 Scrappies (2 pierced)
2 Livery Buttons
Circa 1795 Royal Artillery Button
Curved Stone Spindle Whorl, date unknown but I suspect Saxon. (Rare eyes only)
2 complete Buckles
Tiny thimble not even half the size of my small finger, makes you wonder if the started babies sewing at an early age!
18th C Gaming Token
18th C Medallion (not got but can't ID)
2 Medieval Seal Matrix (1 broken lead bit)
3 Saxon 6th C AD Brooches (2 bits but 1 nice one, which I've been hoping for in this area)
Saxon Wrist Clasp
2 Bits of Saxon Girdle Hanger
Roman Pin Head
Saxon Strap-end
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG

Saxon Sceat Circa AD700- Seems to be a Series R but can't find a reverse match in the book, might be quite scarce or an imitation, I'll await the judgement.

Both silvers fell to me this time but it was the other way around last visit. So we are sharing the love...

Upvote 25
I got the Seal on the last run OTWBTTC & it was on the surface. Although complete I can't make out the central image.
Volume of finds is not just finding the right area & gridding it, its about gridding it fast which means getting those targets in your pouch ASAP and moving on to the next. No knees needed, and a pin pointer would slow you down even further. Its like any sport, good technique gives the edge. Grabbing the right dirt first time is the aim.
Great advice Cru, it's always interesting to learn how others grid their fields. I find getting up off the ground takes more time and effort then it did when I started detecting. I now regret not having taken up this hobby when I was in my 20s. :laughing7:
Hope your Dad's doing well these days. - Dave

I'd love to restore that seal matrix and use it...

Babies today just don't have those kind of skills. :)
Unless you're talking about speed texting on their phones, because that's about the only skill kids seem to have these days. :laughing7:

UPDATE:
I thought this Sceat might be pretty rare but not the only one known in this configuration!

''I have looked on the EMC database at the Fitzwilliam Museum site, Sylloge 63 Gannon’s British Museum site, MEC 8 Naismith’s Sylloge of the Fitzwilliam’s own collection and in my collection and can’t find a similar Obverse/Reverse match! T&S Metcalf also illustrates a Puffing Ælf but again not with the same reverse as your coin. (EMC 1993.9404, 2005.0268, 2018.0048, 2020.0176, 2022.0308).
There is one coin on the Ashmolean website with a TT- - reverse (lines not pellets), HCR 20772. There was one in the Spink sale in the former Abramson Collection.
The coins I call Puffing Ælfs are characterised on the obverse by a head facing right, with one long “lip” that looks like a cigarette, hence the name! behind the head there is a curved line of three pellets above an annulet. Below the TWO point crown is a triangle of three pellets, these are above the runes EPA reading clockwise. There is a beaded border, this shows around the right side of the coin. All of these aspects are common with this style of R5.
There are five other coins like this on the EMC database and yours. All of the other reverses have “T’s” and short lines surrounding the central pellet within the beaded standard. Yours has “T’s” but has large single pellets at the base of each T. Your coin has a TUFA containing pellets at the TOP of the standard on the reverse, each side has a single line. Below the standard is a cross pommée. There are four corner 45° lines extending outwards from the standard. The reverse of your coin has been pictured upside-down.
Most aspects of the iconography of your coin are usual, the beaded standard, the central pellet, the four corner lines, the Tufa at the top and the cross underneath are often seen. However the elements within the standard are very unusual indeed, this is the only example of this configuration that I can find!
I have found one other coin with similar characteristics within the standard but the outer symbols on the reverse are four crosses instead. This coin also has a slightly different obverse, its not a Puffing Ælf! (EMC 2015.0334).
The coins EMC 2018.0048, 2022.0308 and the former Abramson one are now in my collection, but I don’t have a “unique” one like yours! I’m considering writing a blog for the BNS site about Puffing Ælf in the near future.
Happy Hunting for the future''

UPDATE:
I thought this Sceat might be pretty rare but not the only one known in this configuration!

''I have looked on the EMC database at the Fitzwilliam Museum site, Sylloge 63 Gannon’s British Museum site, MEC 8 Naismith’s Sylloge of the Fitzwilliam’s own collection and in my collection and can’t find a similar Obverse/Reverse match! T&S Metcalf also illustrates a Puffing Ælf but again not with the same reverse as your coin. (EMC 1993.9404, 2005.0268, 2018.0048, 2020.0176, 2022.0308).
There is one coin on the Ashmolean website with a TT- - reverse (lines not pellets), HCR 20772. There was one in the Spink sale in the former Abramson Collection.
The coins I call Puffing Ælfs are characterised on the obverse by a head facing right, with one long “lip” that looks like a cigarette, hence the name! behind the head there is a curved line of three pellets above an annulet. Below the TWO point crown is a triangle of three pellets, these are above the runes EPA reading clockwise. There is a beaded border, this shows around the right side of the coin. All of these aspects are common with this style of R5.
There are five other coins like this on the EMC database and yours. All of the other reverses have “T’s” and short lines surrounding the central pellet within the beaded standard. Yours has “T’s” but has large single pellets at the base of each T. Your coin has a TUFA containing pellets at the TOP of the standard on the reverse, each side has a single line. Below the standard is a cross pommée. There are four corner 45° lines extending outwards from the standard. The reverse of your coin has been pictured upside-down.
Most aspects of the iconography of your coin are usual, the beaded standard, the central pellet, the four corner lines, the Tufa at the top and the cross underneath are often seen. However the elements within the standard are very unusual indeed, this is the only example of this configuration that I can find!
I have found one other coin with similar characteristics within the standard but the outer symbols on the reverse are four crosses instead. This coin also has a slightly different obverse, its not a Puffing Ælf! (EMC 2015.0334).
The coins EMC 2018.0048, 2022.0308 and the former Abramson one are now in my collection, but I don’t have a “unique” one like yours! I’m considering writing a blog for the BNS site about Puffing Ælf in the near future.
Happy Hunting for the future''
Fascinating stuff! Thanks for sharing this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back