The Small City Yard

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
I haven't been detecting much or on this forum since maybe 2000, but I'm back and I like it.? Not sure of the age of this new small city lot I am hunting, but I'd guess around 1900 and there is almost no trash and you can't walk two steps without finding clad 2 1/2 inches deep (seriously, I gave my girlfriend's nephew around $2 in no time).? With a dozen wheaties, some nice silver, and a 1849 French coin (all to be shown later? ;D), I found this that I thought was just a Zinc cent until I looked again after I got home.? I can't fit the pics all of it in one post....

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2656-2.JPG
    IMG_2656-2.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 388
Upvote 0
Welcome to the board, Sugar.

Very nice find. Finding an Indian Head cent in good condition is noteworthy, especially a pre-1900 IH.

Your other finds sound good. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Thats a good find SS,Looking forward to the other pics of your finds.HH

I guess I can just put the rest in this same thread. I'm still getting used to the forum and my camera, but at least I can run my metal detector! I'm pretty sure the date on this worn Napoleon III Emperior coin is 1849, and it's about the same size as a half dollar. There is a similar one on Ebay if you want to see what it's suppose to look like.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3314693&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

Attachments

• IMG_2678-2.JPG
    IMG_2678-2.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2679-2.JPG
    IMG_2679-2.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 297
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Last pictures, I need some better lighting for silver though.

Attachments

• IMG_2684-2.JPG
    IMG_2684-2.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_2683-2.JPG
    IMG_2683-2.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 278
Nice IH and Congrats on the walker.....mercy!!! All very nice coins indeed!!!

Continued Luck!!

Jeff

Hey Sand......................Nice Digs.........................Did you find the older coins at 2-3 inches as well ? From what I hear ,if you Did, ..You have a place untouched by us T.H.'s.................I am jealous ..........but happy for you..

Thanks again everybody. I'm pretty sure this place has never been detected. All of the coins I've shown and the wheaties were found at 3 to 6 inches, most around 5 or so where they should be for their age. The merc was the deepest of all and read 95 on my XLT which sometimes means a good target it can't ID. I once found a 1906 Barber dime the same way! The half read 91 with a pure tone, and I was smiling and knew what it was before I saw it in the hole! That XLT is an awesome machine once you get to know it.

You gotta love the XLT. I found out just how smart mine was today when it rang in at 91+ and read 50cents. It was two clad quarters stuck together. I didn't know the thing could add until then. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back