The second 2-piece sword wreath belt buckle

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Well, it was meant to be 2-piece. What we actually found was 1 piece of it and it is the second time for us when a ‘better half’ of the wreath buckle is missing. What is common between those two? In my humble opinion, both of them are beauties. However, everything else about them is different – design, wreath, material they are made of and provenance or rather lack of one in our latest find. The first buckle is of bronze while the second one is a well preserved copper. Our bronze wreath buckle has a manufacturer’s stamp on it that reads ‘S.W.Silver & Co London’. I would like to cite the company’s profile: ‘They were an outfitter and contractor for clothes and supplies for emigrants to Australia and for military and sea-going officers, cadets, passengers.’ And the household it was found belonged to parents of a prominent British Naval Officer. The household dates back to 1852 – 1868. The daughter of the family was married to an officer of the British Army. The second belt buckle was dug out in the middle of nowhere.
I am curious about wreath modifications. The wreath on the bronze buckle is similar to one on British silver coins. Cannot say much about the wreath on the copper buckle.

Attachments

• swordbuckles001.jpg
    swordbuckles001.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 836
  • swordbuckles002.jpg
    swordbuckles002.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 830
  • swordbuckles003.jpg
    swordbuckles003.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 823
  • 1872Shilling001.jpg
    1872Shilling001.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 815
Upvote 0
great find!!! I'm no help on the buckles. I'd love to find 1/2 of one though.

Those are both really nice relics.

HH Jer

These buckles were made during the 18th and 19th centuries were used throughout Europe Napoleon's soldiers to attack my country ... i found one just like in a siege near Tarragona(Spain)....great find!! :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• DSC00374.JPG
    DSC00374.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 965
Very nice indeed!
Pagosa Pete

I dont really have time to get into depth as I am at work,but nice wreaths!I am not familiar with any ever being made of bronze,all that we find are of either stamped or cast brass.There are are a vast array of designs and styles.I am quite familiar with most found in western U.S. sites but cant say the same for Aussie's.As your research statedthis type of buckle was very popular in the civilian theater,from about 1849-1860,and was mass produced for clothing companies supplying,the thousands of men heading to the gold fields.A belt and T&W buckle was often "thrown",in when one bought a pair of trousers.Of course they seen use by military but the majority were civilian fortune seekers.

dont really have time to get into depth as I am at work,but nice wreaths!I am not familiar with any ever being made of bronze,all that we find are of either stamped or cast brass.There are are a vast array of designs and styles.I am quite familiar with most found in western U.S. sites but cant say the same for Aussie's.As your research statedthis type of buckle was very popular in the civilian theater,from about 1849-1860,and was mass produced for clothing companies supplying,the thousands of men heading to the gold fields.A belt and T&W buckle was often "thrown",in when one bought a pair of trousers.Of course they seen use by military but the majority were civilian fortune seekers.

So the second one (flimsier and slightly greenish) is brass. I don't know if this type of a belt was mass worn by our 'fortune seekers' because most of them were very poor and had never come across a decent fortune. Those belts are found here but not mass found. Besides, in those days there was a
very thin line between civilians and military. Some of the gold seekers were military who deserted from the Army to look for brighter opportunities in life. There was a very interesting story in our TV series Epitaph (local historic graves investigation) about a young officer, the Crimean War hero, who trying to avoid disgrace escaped to the goldfields of Australia and then got enrolled to NZ Militia.

tuatara said:
dont really have time to get into depth as I am at work,but nice wreaths!I am not familiar with any ever being made of bronze,all that we find are of either stamped or cast brass.There are are a vast array of designs and styles.I am quite familiar with most found in western U.S. sites but cant say the same for Aussie's.As your research statedthis type of buckle was very popular in the civilian theater,from about 1849-1860,and was mass produced for clothing companies supplying,the thousands of men heading to the gold fields.A belt and T&W buckle was often "thrown",in when one bought a pair of trousers.Of course they seen use by military but the majority were civilian fortune seekers.

So the second one (flimsier and slightly greenish) is brass. I don't know if this type of a belt was mass worn by our 'fortune seekers' because most of them were very poor and had never come across a decent fortune. Those belts are found here but not mass found. Besides, in those days there was a
very thin line between civilians and military. Some of the gold seekers were military who deserted from the Army to look for brighter opportunities in life. There was a very interesting story in our TV series Epitaph (local historic graves investigation) about a young officer, the Crimean War hero, who trying to avoid disgrace escaped to the goldfields of Australia and then got enrolled to NZ Militia.

Trust me they arent "Mass",found any where! :thumbsup:

hi thanks for sharing your buckle finds, Heres a 1852 gold trooper of Victoria Buckle. Yes i only find halfs too lol

tinpan

Attachments

• S7301639.JPG
    S7301639.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 394
  • S7301638.JPG
    S7301638.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 370
  • ROT02637.JPG
    ROT02637.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 455
Terrific finds! :icon_pirat: Good luck finding the other halves!!

Nana :)

hi thanks for sharing your buckle finds, Heres a 1852 gold trooper of Victoria Buckle. Yes i only find halfs too lol

tinpan
I found both parts of this (rarely happens). The inner tongue has a ship on it. Can you point me to where you found the info on it? I can't find anything on a Gold Trooper.

I found both parts of this (rarely happens). The inner tongue has a ship on it. Can you point me to where you found the info on it? I can't find anything on a Gold Trooper.
Let's see a photo of the 2 parts if you can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back