THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Triple B factor
Bed
Blanket
Ball

Resized_20240919_205333(1).jpeg

Putting in an AC clutch got the air a tad blue.
There's not much thus guy can't do, but he admitted it's going to be the last one he does.
No wonder they shop time 5 hrs for a R&R job.
It gets finished in the morning.
Did some sorting of the garbage pale of stuff I took out of the truck box.
Refinding finds was fun.
Found a nice bottle even.

20241005_142703.jpg

Prayers sent! Stay safe!
Time for concrete homes.. I know a guy.
33 years ago when in Queensland we were in the Daintree and were invited to a home there for a visit. They had built a Cyclone proof home. It consisted of thick concrete inter connected domes. Three. One was a large lounge entertainment one, one had two large bedrooms and the other bathroom laundry storage. Windows had metal shutters. I often would scratch my head at the typical QLD houses built in cyclone areas on stilts several feet off of the ground. Supposedly to help keep the place cool and dry in the humid climate but not very cyclone proof. If I built here in cyclone country it would be a copy of that dome home.

33 years ago when in Queensland we were in the Daintree and were invited to a home there for a visit. They had built a Cyclone proof home. It consisted of thick concrete inter connected domes. Three. One was a large lounge entertainment one, one had two large bedrooms and the other bathroom laundry storage. Windows had metal shutters. I often would scratch my head at the typical QLD houses built in cyclone areas on stilts several feet off of the ground. Supposedly to help keep the place cool and dry in the humid climate but not very cyclone proof. If I built here in cyclone country it would be a copy of that dome home.
I have helped build a few of these. Not as fun to build...or as cool.. as log homes but strong.
ICF homes use expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam panels filled with concrete and reinforced by steel cables and rebar, making them incredibly strong and able to withstand over 300 mph winds. The walls of ICF homes are made of plastic foam modular building that makes erecting concrete walls more cost-efficient for the homebuilder. The roof is attached to the walls by code-required metal strapping embedded into the concrete, which provides significant wind protection. The construction of hurricane-resistant ICF walls involves placing concrete into the interlocking hollow foam ICF blocks, with an engineered design of horizontal and vertical reinforcement.

That one did well. The Queenslanders were just wood on stilts. The new builds need to be built with a Cyclone rating though. The one we lived in there had a high rating.
The dome place we went to looked good, I couldn't find anything like it in searches. It helped looks wise too I guess being surrounded by tropical rain forest.
I never knew there were cyclone, hurricane proof stilt homes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back