THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

1720456922449.png

One of the problems with alchemical symbolism is that one symbol can mean many different things, and conversely, many different symbols can mean the same thing.

There is also significant crossover with astrology, astronomy, occultism, and a few more disciplines I'm forgetting...

For example, the symbol on the ring has been identified as "omega". In the Greek alphabet, yes. In alchemy, I've seen the same symbol represent death, alcohol, sublimation, and Leo (among other things!)... Ascending Lunar Mode (that's a new one on me).

In alchemy, gold can/may be represented by these symbols: (There may be more still)
1720449038874.png

Yet the first (at least) is also the symbol for the Sun.

So when I see a post about "treasure symbols" asking how they're going to lead to some hidden treasure.... there's a lot of information missing. What's the context? What language did the maker speak? What time period? Nationality? Profession? Religion? All these variables and more could--and likely do/will--come into play.

... And don't get me started on alchemical ciphers!

In 1978, I picked up a hardcover copy of
The Alchemist's Handbook by Frater Albertus on a clearance table at Borders for $2. I highly recommend it. I see there's currently one available on Etsy for about the same price ($1.90)

Last edited:
The Omega symbol (Ω), the 24th and final letter of the Greek alphabet, has multiple meanings:
  • End
    The Omega symbol can mean the end of something, the last, or the ultimate limit of a set. It can also signify a grand closure, such as the conclusion of a large-scale event. The Omega symbol can represent an end that is good, bad, or neutral, and can also mean the bottom, fulfillment, or death.
  • Rebirth
    The Omega symbol can also be considered a positive thing involving rebirth.
  • Chemistry
    The Omega symbol is used to represent oxygen-18, a naturally occurring and stable isotope of oxygen. It is often used in Paleoclimatology to determine the temperature of precipitation in polar regions.
  • Electrical resistance
    In electromagnetism and engineering, the uppercase Omega symbol is used as the symbol for ohms, which are units of electrical resistance.
  • Angular frequency
    In physics and other sciences, the lowercase omega (ω) is often used to represent angular frequency.
  • Christianity
    In Christianity, the Omega symbol, along with the first letter of the Greek alphabet, alpha, is used to designate the comprehensiveness of God, implying that God includes all that can be. In the New Testament Revelation to John, the term is used as the self-designation of God and of Christ.

Evan even beat you today.🤣
Well I missed yesterday entirely. I think. It has been a busy long weekend. 8-)

Hope your day is going well.
It is. I got the rest of the fence row cleared, got some low hanging branches trimmed up, got the garage part of the shop cleaned up and new cabinets installed. I even got a little bit of dig time in over the weekend. Nothing but iron (story of my life), but it's still fun. I'll post a pic or two later.

Well I missed yesterday entirely. I think. It has been a busy long weekend. 8-)

It is. I got the rest of the fence row cleared, got some low hanging branches trimmed up, got the garage part of the shop cleaned up and new cabinets installed. I even got a little bit of dig time in over the weekend. Nothing but iron (story of my life), but it's still fun. I'll post a pic or two later.
Did you complete the truck, I might of missed you mentioning the job.

Did you complete the truck, I might of missed you mentioning the job.
Well that was on my list but it didn't quite happen yet. I lost a day to air conditioner repairs for the house. I do have the passenger side done, the front cover is back on and most of the pulleys. But I still have to bore and tap the #8 cylinder on the drivers side before I put that part back together. That and get the EGR tube replaced, and I suspect getting the old one off is probably going to be the hardest part of the whole project. It looks like one solid blob of rust and it's really hard to get to.

Well that was on my list but it didn't quite happen yet. I lost a day to air conditioner repairs for the house. I do have the passenger side done, the front cover is back on and most of the pulleys. But I still have to bore and tap the #8 cylinder on the drivers side before I put that part back together. That and get the EGR tube replaced, and I suspect getting the old one off is probably going to be the hardest part of the whole project. It looks like one solid blob of rust and it's really hard to get to.
Start applying the rust penetrating oil to it.
Sometimes it takes a period of time to work.
Plumbers torch might heat it up enough to break the rust.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back