The Clue#003

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
cache : a large amount of gold & silver coins in leather bags.
As attested by the records of the United States Court of the Southern District of New York the pirate treasure of Charles Gibbs lies buried in the sands of Long Island near South Hampton. This event happened in 1831.
What is known: He dropped anchor 15 miles South Southeast of Southhampton light. He scuttled and burned his ship, the Vineyard, before heading for shore. He put the cache in two longboats and headed for shore. One got stuck on a sandbarwith app.$6000 and sunk offshore. He immediately, upon landing buried the rest which was about $48000 in leather bags. He got caught and hung, but would not reveal the exact location to the court.
What we need to know: The location of Southhampton light or former location on a good nautical map. Now we need to know on the map where 15 mi S, SE of the light would be. Now we need to know the prevailing currents at that area in 1831. Figure that all out and you have a h ell of a great beach hunt. Do this follow up research and you could retire early. Those coins wold bring well over a million. Just send me the 10% finders fee. LOL Frank

Upvote 0
I have been thinking about this one. They rowed in at night and got hung up on the sandbars so it was probably low tide. They buried it right there so it is probably from the low tide mark to about 100' back. They used the light house as a guide coming in and they were North of the light. They didn't go as far as the light to avoid being seen. SO, it is probably buried several hundred yards North of the light and from low tide mark to about 100' back. I hope it isn't built up in that area.
Frank

I'm not really sure, but I believe that is all National Park land, so hunting will be a no-no unless I go as a ninja :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back