Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out digging a 17th century site in a bean field with a buddy today. I had only planned on a couple hours, however, things changed rapidly. I had to squiggle through a board fence, more than once. It was not my most graceful moment. I first stated hunting a grassy area. I found three early buttons right off, and then a few modern shotgun shell bases. After a bit, I squiggled back through the fence and nailed another button and several pieces of early lead. Not long after I got one of those do I really want to dig this? tones, but did. I found a 17th century colonial hoe, nearly intact about 18" down. Getting TO the hoe, I noticed a lot of oyster shells, the huge kind they had back then, some minimal pottery, then bones and oyster shells! I had a 17th century trash pit. I spent an hour or so on the pit, then started back with the detector near it. Shortly thereafter, I got a Good grief! there's a whole volkswagen down here kinda signal. It was a BIG, really BIG piece of iron, but what? Only a foot deep, but hello, I couldn't get a grip on it and get the blasted thing out of the ground! Say what is this? Well, it is still in the truck but is an imported 18" long roughly triangular pig iron bar! Now that's something you don't see very often...like never from a 17th century site! I'll be it weighs 20 pounds. Squiggles through the fence...again.

Nearby were more musket balls, lead, buttons, a coin, I think a rose farthing, if I can find it, a horse boss, and a gorgeous 17th century buckle, soon to be followed by another one.

I got a whatzit? 44 on the Deus and out popped a colonial swivel shot. I remember reading the locals were afraid of pirates back then. I guess the pirates paid a visit.

Back to the trash pit and I pulled out a big piece of English black flint they had been making gun flints from. I also found a local piece of river agate in the field. The Indians probably had that.

It was a wondrous day, to be topped off by seeing a mature bald eagle flying by as I left. I Can hardly move!

IMG_1445.jpg What is the brass thing on the right?
IMG_1446.jpg
IMG_1447.jpg
IMG_1448.jpg

Upvote 58
Hi, wow nice hunt with some great finds. Congrats:icon_thumright:

McDig, that was a LOT of holes. And a big pit! I got everything out of the car, but it's going to take awhile to get things presentable for photos.

Gee..lots of digging but totally worth it!

Ok, here's the start of the more close up pics. I had two hammered coins buried in the batch. I didn't know I had them. View attachment IMG_1451.jpg Left to right a Spanish Maravedis of some sort, Charles I Rose Farthing, broken silver cufflink and a worn out copper on the bottom.

View attachment IMG_1454.jpg The buckle on the left is 1550-about 1650, the top broken one 1500-1650, middle buckle again, mid 1600's, buckle on the right, age not determined and the two pieces that are broken are about in the same time frame. There were colonists here by the 1630's, and the Spanish were here before them.

Great summary smokey and some wonderful relics! Man, you gotta love digging colonial!

John

Those are some really great finds! I would lose my mind finding relics/coins from the 1600's. Most places in Vermont 1700's are the oldest relics you find.

Last edited:
I still have to take more pics. Some of the iron won't be presentable for weeks.

Here's a pic of one of the oysters that came from about 3' down in the trash pit! Check out its size. That's a 350 year old oyster. View attachment IMG_1464.jpg The second photo is the piece of English flint, they knocked off sections to make gun flints. View attachment IMG_1462.jpg

Great finds, thanks for sharing your story with us! :occasion14:
Love the look of the decorative buckle.

Dave

Looks like a great outing Smokey. I would be thrilled if I dug all those buttons in one outing.

Wow I live in the wrong area Well done great pieces of history

Thanks all. Anyone know what that piece with the oval brass with two end stubs is? Of course it could be later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back