Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out digging a 17th century site in a bean field with a buddy today. I had only planned on a couple hours, however, things changed rapidly. I had to squiggle through a board fence, more than once. It was not my most graceful moment. I first stated hunting a grassy area. I found three early buttons right off, and then a few modern shotgun shell bases. After a bit, I squiggled back through the fence and nailed another button and several pieces of early lead. Not long after I got one of those do I really want to dig this? tones, but did. I found a 17th century colonial hoe, nearly intact about 18" down. Getting TO the hoe, I noticed a lot of oyster shells, the huge kind they had back then, some minimal pottery, then bones and oyster shells! I had a 17th century trash pit. I spent an hour or so on the pit, then started back with the detector near it. Shortly thereafter, I got a Good grief! there's a whole volkswagen down here kinda signal. It was a BIG, really BIG piece of iron, but what? Only a foot deep, but hello, I couldn't get a grip on it and get the blasted thing out of the ground! Say what is this? Well, it is still in the truck but is an imported 18" long roughly triangular pig iron bar! Now that's something you don't see very often...like never from a 17th century site! I'll be it weighs 20 pounds. Squiggles through the fence...again.

Nearby were more musket balls, lead, buttons, a coin, I think a rose farthing, if I can find it, a horse boss, and a gorgeous 17th century buckle, soon to be followed by another one.

I got a whatzit? 44 on the Deus and out popped a colonial swivel shot. I remember reading the locals were afraid of pirates back then. I guess the pirates paid a visit.

Back to the trash pit and I pulled out a big piece of English black flint they had been making gun flints from. I also found a local piece of river agate in the field. The Indians probably had that.

It was a wondrous day, to be topped off by seeing a mature bald eagle flying by as I left. I Can hardly move!

IMG_1445.jpg What is the brass thing on the right?
IMG_1446.jpg
IMG_1447.jpg
IMG_1448.jpg

Upvote 58
Holy crap, look at all those buttons! Very nice finds! Congrats!

Everything big is still in the truck, and some buttons are out there also.

when the cat prowls, treasures abound!

Hot dang, Smokey...you absolutely killed it! What an awesome, old site you have there, I sure hope you have return visits scheduled! (Like, 5:00 am tomorrow)...Congrats and thank you for sharing, Ddf.

Dirtdigginfool, it's just after 3 am, and I had to get up to get a Tylenol. I just digging and digging and digging. I have some big rusty salt eaten iron (site is 150' from the Chesapeake Bay), and yes private property. Oww, oww, oww.

Wow N ICE finds why was I not invited lol.
Thanks for sharing'

Well, back to bed. Going to a Civil War site in awhile. I'm probably going to sit in the car and watch my digging buddy!

More and better pics later this pm. First, more detecting!

Very well done Smokey. I like the buttons and that big buckle.

Best of luck to you.

I was looking in the buckle and coin book, and will have some close ups and surprises to post later today...after another dig.

That sounds like a fun (and exhausting) day of digging. What a nice collection of artifacts. Love the story and the pics...but how come there are no shots of you sguiggling through those fences? That would have been priceless! Congrats!

WOW! That was a great hunt! :occasion14:

Very nice finds. Congrats smokey.

Most impressive group of finds. Can’t wait to see the rest. U never cease to amaze us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back