Tesoro Golden Umax: Field test

Nice video. A couple things though. It's not a "U" max it's a "micro" max. From Wikipedia:

"The term micron and the symbol μ, representing the micrometre were officially accepted between 1879 and 1967, but abrogated in 1967.[1] In practice it is still used, especially in American English, astronomy, and the semiconductor industry. The micrometre is a common unit of measurement for wavelengths of infrared radiation. The use of the term micron also helps differentiate the unit from the measuring device of the same name.

A single strand of hair usually has a diameter of 20 to 180 μm. Red blood cells are approximately 8 μm in diameter.[2]"

You can type this symbol by using the ASCII character code ALT +230. In other words, when you want the µ symbol to appear hold down the ALT key and type 230 (while the ALT is still held down). So it would be typed "Golden µMax" by typing the word "Golden", space, then hold down ALT while typing 230. Let go of the ALT key and µ will appear. Then type Max.

The other thing I'm curious about is the use of the pinpointer. You pinpoint with the Golden by doing 90° crossings, then take the extra step of using the pinpointer to repeat the process. I've had the Golden (Tejon, Vaquero, and Cortes) and it's my experience that the Tesoros pinpoint a target accurately enough that you can dig based off of that, then use the pinpointer to zero in on the target in the plug (of course the plug is a U shaped cut that is "hinged over" so as not to completely sever the root system). I guess that's why I struggle to understand why people look for great depth in a pinpointer. I use the Vibraprobe 570 and it vibrates within a couple inches of the target, that's all. I wouldn't want it any deeper as it kinda defeats the purpose of trying to pinpoint the target.

Maybe this practice comes from using machines that don't pinpoint that well? I've had some that don't bing-bong until you are past the target, so I can see where this practice might make sense. You might find with the Golden that you can skip this step and dig your plug directly from what the machine is telling you.

Just my thoughts,

Dan

Dan B said:
You can type this symbol by using the ASCII character code ALT +230. In other words, when you want the µ symbol to appear hold down the ALT key and type 230 (while the ALT is still held down). So it would be typed "Golden µMax" by typing the word "Golden", space, then hold down ALT while typing 230. Let go of the ALT key and µ will appear. Then type Max.

Just my thoughts,

Dan

Cool, thanks for the tip.

Golden ... [try] ... [try] ... [trying again] ... :dontknow:
....'ALT 230' does not produce anything for me. :icon_scratch:

Anyhow, I knew before I bought a uMax that the u was not a u. Most of us just use a "U". The communication is there; works fine for me. So does the uMax, I love it!

midnightmoon said:
Dan B said:

Just my thoughts,

Dan

Cool, thanks for the tip.

Golden ... [try] ... [try] ... [trying again] ... :dontknow:
....'ALT 230' does not produce anything for me. :icon_scratch:

Anyhow, I knew before I bought a uMax that the u was not a u. Most of us just use a "U". The communication is there; works fine for me. So does the uMax, I love it!
Well don't feel bad did not work for me either.....

Attachments

• imagesCAGR05NG.jpg
    imagesCAGR05NG.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 880
  • imagesCAGR05NG.jpg
    imagesCAGR05NG.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 885
Dan B said:
Nice video. A couple things though. It's not a "U" max it's a "micro" max. From Wikipedia:

"The term micron and the symbol μ, representing the micrometre were officially accepted between 1879 and 1967, but abrogated in 1967.[1] In practice it is still used, especially in American English, astronomy, and the semiconductor industry. The micrometre is a common unit of measurement for wavelengths of infrared radiation. The use of the term micron also helps differentiate the unit from the measuring device of the same name.

A single strand of hair usually has a diameter of 20 to 180 μm. Red blood cells are approximately 8 μm in diameter.[2]"

OK . . . I'll never say YouMax again, but I don't want to hear you say "Mercury Dime". It's a "Winged Liberty" dime, and it expresses "Freedom of Thought". :read2: ;D

Neither of us have a snowball in Hades chance of convincing the world to say it 'the right way'.

Dan B said:

For those using the MacBook it is option m to get the µ.

Willee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back