Tennessee CW Relics Today & Promoted Our Hobby at Meeting!!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought a new Predator "Piranha" shovel from George Lesche and just had to try it out despite the heat and humidity last Friday. Acting on a tip from Tennessee Digger, I went to a hill near a U.S. Infantry camp. Unfortunately, the farmers decided to give the freshly cut hay another day to cure so I had to run my F75 over the top of mown hay. Nevertheless, I dug the brass knapsack ring Friday during a short hunt. They baled the hay late Friday so I went out early this am and dug the .44 cal. Colt pistol ball and the .69 cal. musket ball. The lead felt good in my hands as we dig very little in the summer here. No camp there but probably where the Yankees traveled along an old CW road. Certainly not enough relics there for the Tennessee Trio and Tennessee Digger and Julia to go back for.
I was asked to display CSA relics from Gen. John Hunt Morgan camps at the 2012 Morgan's Men Assn. reunion in a local town. The Morgan's Men Association is comprised of descendants of Gen. Morgan and the men who served with him. I set up a table with relics and published articles and/or relics pictured in magazines. There was much interest in the relics and i received a site tip or two there. Take every opportunity to promote our hobby. HH, Quindy.

As Steve of PA pointed out, the brass "D" ring could also be a part of a sword hanger. Thanks Steve.

All relics I post are recovered from private land with permission and I have never (or ever will post) posted anything I did not personally recover with a a detector.

Attachments

• U.S.  Route 8-24 and 27. 2012.jpg
    U.S. Route 8-24 and 27. 2012.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 113
  • MM Assn. Mtg. 8-24-12.jpg
    MM Assn. Mtg. 8-24-12.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Piranha Shovel.jpg
    Piranha Shovel.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Way to go Quindy!

Great finds and thanks for promoting the hobby. I hunted Morgan's camps in Liberty Tn and the battle of Milton Tn. Gonna have to go back some day. Best of luck.:icon_thumleft:

Other than sharing with the local community, you just highlighted why its good to do these. You can get permission or sites thrown at you, without trying.

Nice job Quindy

Good to see you get out and dig a few targets this time of year. Nice job promoting the hobby too. I believe your "D" ring is actually from a sword hanger.

Attachments

• Z579A[1].jpeg
    Z579A[1].jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 108
nice work ill be outside of dandrige this weekend hunting family farm hope to do as well as you

Way to go Quindy. You represent our hobby really well. I'm sure some of the guys got a kick out of seeing some of your relics. Can't wait till fall! Donnie

Forgot to add that George makes the very best "one time" shovel that you can own and I believe that Steve may be right, looks like part of a hanger to me. Donnie

Atleast ya got some nice relics! Awesome looking digger too!

Thanks OS, Richard, and TG.
Cru, you are correct as usual. Thanks for looking.
Steve, I forgot about the "D" ring being a possible SWB hanger ring. Thanks.
Good luck on your upcoming hunt Bill.
Thanks for the tip Donnie. We are looking forward to Fall hunting with you too.
OG, that digging shovel is a fine piece of equipment and 40 in. long weighing only 3 # 2 oz. The opt. foot pads should save boots too.
HH to all, Quindy.

Well done on the PR and the sword hanger piece. You are a treasure to this hobby my friend. Looking forward to having you and Dman down here in the early spring for our first LA-Invitational Hunt. ;)

Cheers,

Buckles

Well done on the PR and the sword hanger piece. You are a treasure to this hobby my friend. Looking forward to having you and Dman down here in the early spring for our first LA-Invitational Hunt. ;)

Cheers,

Buckles
Thanks BB. We are looking forward to hunting with you and Shane + eating about 5 gals. of GUMBO. Tell Shane that he needs to swap his taxi cab for a boat there this week-LOL. Stay safe, Quindy.

Way to promote the hobby and nice finds sir. Ok on that shovel. I break everything. Is it up to the task in this hard Tennessee soil? I have looked at them. Thanks Quindy.

Way to promote the hobby and nice finds sir. Ok on that shovel. I break everything. Is it up to the task in this hard Tennessee soil? I have looked at them. Thanks Quindy.

Great to hear from you my SE Tennessee friend. I have used the shovel twice. I purposely went to a spot on a hill where the soil was very dry and loaded with chunk rocks. The point on the tip and both blade side serrations will rip right through small roots. The point allows for easy ground entry. The blade is almost 6" wide and it digs a great plug. George guarantees his tools for 5 years. Take care and good luck on finding Fall native American artifacts Bud, Quindy.

Quindy,that is fantastic . Weather will be cooling soon.Lot's of digging waiting for ya.

Very cool! to say the least......................HH

Nice finds. Congrats on your new spots and showing your finds to those who appreciate the relics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back