Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this thing on a little rise beside my creek. I have found points there for years, but never anything else. It was round , 3 1/2" in dia, at one time. The side I call the back is flat. The front is rounded. The hole tapers from the front about 1" down to 1/2' in the back. It is worn smooth in the smaller dia. I thought it was clay at first but now I think it is some kinda sedimentary rock. I've never seen this type of rock here before. There are small scratches(lines) on the back. Thanks, Tony

Attachments

• IMG_2922.JPG
    IMG_2922.JPG
    824.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2925.JPG
    IMG_2925.JPG
    641.5 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0
If it is soapstone it may be a cooking/boiling stone.

Heres a few pieces of soapstone with holes drilled thru that were likely boiling stone. Probably salvaged pieces from a broken soapstone bowl. These belong to a friend of mine. A good number are found along the Savannah River Basin.
078.JPG

...all over the world from ancient to the present day, really hard to say without context.

Could be a drilled Stone Disc like these.

Attachments

• Feurt Site Collection (46).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (46).jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Feurt Site Collection (45).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (45).jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Feurt Site Collection (43).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (43).jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Feurt Site Collection (6).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (6).jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 60
Tony in SC - You may have a broke disk or spindle but boiling stones are way more common to find in this area. You see a good many at the shows around here. Here is a broke one I found a while back and a few pictures of different ones from Mr. Pecks book on Soapstone in the Carolinas. Interesting piece whatever it turns out to be.
001.JPG008.JPG004.JPG009.JPG

It looks like one of the stones in the website Unclemac posted, but it also looks like the one in your hand. It could be either. I found it with 2 points that are different from what I usually find on this little hill I try to post them tomorrow. Tony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back