Tell me about this thing

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
I know it's probably Victorian, my brain is screaming Victorian, but my heart wants it to be something else.

It feels older and different than most Victorian fashion stuff I have found. It also came from an area that has French & Indian war provenance.

So, here it goes... Please don't say Victorian :wink:

badge.jpg

Thanks!
Kevo

Hey Kevo, Okay, I won't say the "V" word. It looks like it belongs on a ladies shoe; a shoe clip or either a brooch both being from the Art Nouveau period. Actually it's really hard to tell what it is without seeing it cleaned. Can you clean it, then post more pics? Neat find, Breezie

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Edwardian

Could be, and I thought about that last night when I typed in Art Nouveau, but I'd still like to see it cleaned before the jury goes out. Edwardian and Art Nouveau over-lapped around the 1890s, and the reason I said A.N. is because 'nature' was the central theme, and this piece looks like pedals or leaves on a flower. In the Eddie era, diamonds were the pick for stones, and platinum was the metal, which I don't think this piece is neither. Of course there was some costume jewelry in the Ed. era. By the time A.N. was leaving the U.S in 1910, Edwardian was in full swing in Britain. I think we'll be able to determine which era after it is cleaned. Breezie

Upvote 0
I don't think it get's much cleaner. I can tell you this. The pink central stone is imitation amethyst, probably just colored class. It is very thin stamped brass with green corrosion all over it. A few SMALL spots of gold gilt are left, I might try some aluminum jelly on it tonight. The pink stone is set in a flower that is raised from the outer leaves, though some of the petals have broken off.

We'll see if the jelly does anything and if there is any change I will post some pics tonight.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Kevo_DFX said:
I don't think it get's much cleaner. I can tell you this. The pink central stone is imitation amethyst, probably just colored class. It is very thin stamped brass with green corrosion all over it. A few SMALL spots of gold gilt are left, I might try some aluminum jelly on it tonight. The pink stone is set in a flower that is raised from the outer leaves, though some of the petals have broken off.

We'll see if the jelly does anything and if there is any change I will post some pics tonight.

Thanks!

Since you know the stone is synthetic, how about soaking it in some lemon juice & water? You may want to try just putting the tip end of it in the solution to see how it will react. I use Lemon Juice on my brass buttons, so it may help this. Breezie

Upvote 0
Costume jewelry about 1940, 50s. Notice the circle on the back were it is riveted to the rest. The round piece is for the pin, which is broken of course. Stone is glass of course.

Upvote 0
I know this is a long-shot. And trust me I know this sounds silly. But I've been looking at a lot of edwardian, vitorian, art nouveau brooches and can't find anythinng similar, though I probably missed it.

What I have noticed is that the central flower looks a heckuva lot like a tudor rose. Is there any chance this is a british non-military item from the 18th century?

Upvote 0
I've found a lot of junk jewelry, from the past 200 years. This feels different. It sems like there is more age to it. I wish you could hold it and see what I mean.

Upvote 0
The Tudors were gone and the 1700's were the era of the Hanoverian. Can't see the Tudor rose still being so popular at that time, but perhaps our English brothers will pipe in. No expertice from me, just thinking out loud.

Upvote 0
Kevo_DFX said:
I know this is a long-shot. And trust me I know this sounds silly. But I've been looking at a lot of edwardian, vitorian, art nouveau brooches and can't find anythinng similar, though I probably missed it.

What I have noticed is that the central flower looks a heckuva lot like a tudor rose. Is there any chance this is a british non-military item from the 18th century?

Women's fashions and styles change with almost every decade, and each style is recognizable by certain characteristics. If we were to see someone dressed in a poodle skirt with saddle oxfords and bobby socks, we'd immediately know it was from the 1950's era. We know and it's familiar because most of us or our siblings have lived through that era. Some styles are more obvious than others; ie. a Flapper dress, longs beads, and a headband denotes the 'Roaring 20's.' I could say Pill Box Hat to most men, and it wouldn't mean anything, but to a woman, they would say, Jackie Kennedy.

The style of your jewelry is typical of the Art Nouveau period. The shape of Tutor jewelry was almost always round. Yes, the center part of your piece does resemble the Tutor Rose, but the open face rose has been used repeatedly throughout history. The weight of the metal or age doesn't necessary mean expensive or cheap. There was some very expensive jewelry made during the A.N. era, as well as all other eras.

The round silver colored piece on the back is where the attaching clip was located. I still think it is either a shoe, hair barrette, or dress clip. Below are a few pics of A.N. 'clips.' Of courses these are not exactly like yours, and with women's jewelry and fashions, you will probably not find an exact match because of the thousands and thousands made. Note the 'shape' and the laying of each one, which tells me the era. Note the shape of the 2 clips in pic#2 especially if they were joined together.

I didn't mean to ramble, but I did want to explain. I think you found a interesting piece of jewelry! :thumbsup: Breezie

Attachments

• ArtNouveauDressClip.jpg
    ArtNouveauDressClip.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 293
  • ArtNoudressclips.jpg
    ArtNoudressclips.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 298
  • art_nouveauhairclip.JPG
    art_nouveauhairclip.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 286
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
CRUSADER said:
Edwardian

Could be, and I thought about that last night when I typed in Art Nouveau, but I'd still like to see it cleaned before the jury goes out. Edwardian and Art Nouveau over-lapped around the 1890s, and the reason I said A.N. is because 'nature' was the central theme, and this piece looks like pedals or leaves on a flower. In the Eddie era, diamonds were the pick for stones, and platinum was the metal, which I don't think this piece is neither. Of course there was some costume jewelry in the Ed. era. By the time A.N. was leaving the U.S in 1910, Edwardian was in full swing in Britain. I think we'll be able to determine which era after it is cleaned. Breezie

Bad joke/half truth :laughing9:

Its Late Victorian (1880-1910)

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Breezie said:
CRUSADER said:
Edwardian

Cru, don't make me have to swim over there . . .I'm too tired tonight. LOL :laughing7: Breezie

Upvote 0
Breezie said:
CRUSADER said:
Breezie said:
CRUSADER said:
Edwardian

Cru, don't make me have to swim over there . . .I'm too tired tonight. LOL :laughing7: Breezie

It was a bad joke on the poster not wanting the 'V' word, not you :-*

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Breezie said:
CRUSADER said:
Breezie said:
CRUSADER said:
Edwardian

Oh, gotcha . .well, I'm feeling better today, so I may swim over . . .what for dinner tonight? :wink:

Upvote 0
Breezie said:
CRUSADER said:
Breezie said:
CRUSADER said:
Breezie said:
CRUSADER said:
Edwardian

Oh, gotcha . .well, I'm feeling better today, so I may swim over . . .what for dinner tonight? :wink:

fish & chips :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back