Teachers

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tee,
That sounds like a blast...
But I grew up and was schooled in the "urban" way... :-\
I cherished the time I spent in the woods...from fishing and hunting with my pap and boy scouts and just always looking for new adventures, I knew that I loved the rural way! :thumbsup:

Best,
Scott

I started out in a one room school house. One teacher and eight grades all in one room. Walked home every night , a parent made sure we got there in the morning.Mrs Trolz kept a piece of rubber hose on top of the piano,along side the stuffed owl. Each grade studied or read while the next grade recited etc. there were about twenty five kids all told. Bad actors were made to sit in the waste basket, or stand facing the blackboard with their nose in a chalk circle.She was my mentor and friend, and we saw each other at times till she died.

My sixth grade teacher was the greatest! He was loved by all the kids who ever sat in his class. He would go out on the playground during our recesses and actually participate in games and he made us want to learn in his class because he always made it interesting. So here's to Joe Bell my sixth grade teacher. :hello2: :hello2:

My worse teacher was....I won't say her name but she was an English teacher in my sophomore year in high school. I handed in a theme that I really worked hard on and spent several nights at the library doing research. She lost it and claimed I never did it and then she tried to belittle me in front of the class. I made straight As in all my English or Lit classes except hers and she gave me a D. She lived to be a hundred and I didn't mourn her passing! Only the good die young is true. Monty

Bob,
That brings a tear to my eye...
I applaud your posting!
What memories you must have! Bravo, Sir!

Best,
Scott

Monty said:
My sixth grade teacher was the greatest! He was loved by all the kids who ever sat in his class. He would go out on the playground during our recesses and actually participate in games and he made us want to learn in his class because he always made it interesting. So here's to Joe Bell my sixth grade teacher. :hello2: :hello2:

My worse teacher was....I won't say her name but she was an English teacher in my sophomore year in high school. I handed in a theme that I really worked hard on and spent several nights at the library doing research. She lost it and claimed I never did it and then she tried to belittle me in front of the class. I made straight As in all my English or Lit classes except hers and she gave me a D. She lived to be a hundred and I didn't mourn her passing! Only the good die young is true. Monty

Monty,
I know what you mean...
A class I had in 10th grade. It was "Homer & The Epic & Comparative Mythology." By A woman who lived it!
Maude Greene. A piece of work. Easily sidetracked, easier to cut. Only class I ever cut. Danced around the explanation to my folks on the report card... :laughing7:

Best,
Scott

Very interesting topic Scott :icon_thumleft: Let's see, what teachers did I leave the biggest impact on..
hmmm, we'll come back to that later..

I was lucky to have several teacher's that all had some amazing qualities as far as their teaching skill and keeping you interested. I would say the best mix was in high school where I had a Professor Katz, whom I hated; and a Mr Arcolio who was my hero. Sometimes it's all about the teachers style. This school was an all boys school, so we did have several rowdy inmates :P

My first go around with Prof Katz for the final year of French was a nightmare. He was past retirement age, and an antiquity in his own right. I still wonder if his family came over on the Mayflower. The first day spoke volumes about him. It was normal on the first day of class to assign books, get a seating chart and perhaps discuss the curriculum for the rest of the year. Not Prof katz... he handed out our books and we started an assignment that day. We also had a homework assignment reading 2 short stories about 15 pages and having to answer the questions at the end of each. Well I think I attended his class maybe 1/2 the time. All of our classes had 2 doors, front and back. I would check in the front and make sure he saw me, and duck out the back first chance I had. Needless to say I failed that class.

Now Mr Arcolio on the other hand was a much younger teacher and knew how to handle a rowdy class. Although he rarely spoke English in class, everyday would start off he same way. He would start talking about either TV, or a sports game all in French. By keeping it topical he had everyone's attention. He also promised that so long as you showed up a few times a week you would pass, show up daily and you will get at least a 90 :hello2: This was also the final class before the State Regents, so 1/2 way through the term he pulled out old regents and taught us how to understand and take shortcuts. Je suis allé à la plage.. I went to the beach. He taught us how to answer short and simple to a variety of questions. He always said that you get no credit for long and wrong sentences.. Made sense to me...

Ohhh, I had forgotten to mention that I did get an 85 on the state exam :headbang:

John Gartley ; Global History , Speech , and head of the high school drama dept . Met him my freshman year in global history class . He made history interesting by telling us the 'dirty parts'. No one
failed to pay attention in his classes because he kept it so interesting .
He showed us rednecks that there was a whole world outside of our routine sphere of gas station or
coal mine jobs coupled with marrieing too early and being a drudge for the rest of your life .

spartacus53 said:
Very interesting topic Scott :icon_thumleft: Let's see, what teachers did I leave the biggest impact on..
hmmm, we'll come back to that later..

I was lucky to have several teacher's that all had some amazing qualities as far as their teaching skill and keeping you interested. I would say the best mix was in high school where I had a Professor Katz, whom I hated; and a Mr Arcolio who was my hero. Sometimes it's all about the teachers style. This school was an all boys school, so we did have several rowdy inmates :P

My first go around with Prof Katz for the final year of French was a nightmare. He was past retirement age, and an antiquity in his own right. I still wonder if his family came over on the Mayflower. The first day spoke volumes about him. It was normal on the first day of class to assign books, get a seating chart and perhaps discuss the curriculum for the rest of the year. Not Prof katz... he handed out our books and we started an assignment that day. We also had a homework assignment reading 2 short stories about 15 pages and having to answer the questions at the end of each. Well I think I attended his class maybe 1/2 the time. All of our classes had 2 doors, front and back. I would check in the front and make sure he saw me, and duck out the back first chance I had. Needless to say I failed that class.

Now Mr Arcolio on the other hand was a much younger teacher and knew how to handle a rowdy class. Although he rarely spoke English in class, everyday would start off he same way. He would start talking about either TV, or a sports game all in French. By keeping it topical he had everyone's attention. He also promised that so long as you showed up a few times a week you would pass, show up daily and you will get at least a 90 :hello2: This was also the final class before the State Regents, so 1/2 way through the term he pulled out old regents and taught us how to understand and take shortcuts. Je suis allé à la plage.. I went to the beach. He taught us how to answer short and simple to a variety of questions. He always said that you get no credit for long and wrong sentences.. Made sense to me...

Spart, my friend,
If you are ever in my neck of the woods,
Find Me!
I'll buy the Beer all night!

Best,
Scott

I want to thank a fellow T-net member, Kibitzr :hello:
He taught me a lot about this hobby: always ask for permission, how to dig a proper plug, sold me my first pinpointer (at first I thought, "yeah, what a pain in the Arse to have to tote ANOTHER piece of equipment!")...and I finally have a long handle scoop thanks to kibitzr! Plus he puts up with my constant yammering on and on about life stuff.

Thanks John (and T-Net), not only are you fun to hunt with but, I also consider you family :thumbsup:

vibes said:
He taught me a lot about this hobby: always ask for permission, how to dig a proper plug, sold me my first pinpointer (at first I thought, "yeah, what a pain in the Arse to have to tote ANOTHER piece of equipment!")...and I finally have a long handle scoop thanks to kibitzr! Plus he puts up with my constant yammering on and on about life stuff.

Thanks John (and T-Net), not only are you fun to hunt with but, I also consider you family :thumbsup:

Yes!
We ALL can be teachers! This was the point of my posting!
You have won! (I'm sorry I cannot convey upon you the proper reward you deserve...) :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,
Scott

AU24K said:
vibes said:

Yes!
You have won! (I'm sorry I cannot convey upon you the proper reward you deserve...) :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,
Scott

Just send me a bag of Pork Rinds.

vibes said:
AU24K said:
vibes said:

Yes!

Best Wishes,
Scott

Girl, :laughing7: what flavor do you want? Jalepeno? Chili-lime, Cheese?
Gimme an idea! (also gimme an addy on a PM)

Best,
Scott

I also have to give Kudos to a Ms. Brennen, my homeroom and geometry teacher.. She liked me so much, she had given me my very first "pet" name.. The Greek Delinquent :hello2:

wow... just looked delinquent too.. I don't think it was much of a compliment :laughing7: Al kidding aside, I was a bit of a pain, but she was able to handle me. I only wish I could find her today and thank her again...

AU24K said:
vibes said:
AU24K said:
vibes said:

Yes!

Best Wishes,
Scott

Girl, :laughing7: what flavor do you want? Jalepeno? Chili-lime, Cheese?
Gimme an idea! (also gimme an addy on a PM)

Best,
Scott

I'm a purist...I add my own spice.

Thanks for reminding me , Spart , of Gertrude Lindquist . High school geometry teacher and wonderful human being .
So seriously unprepared for higher math in the lower grades , I was failing her class miserably , as were many others .
That grand lady offered to tutor us before school and during lunch hour for free . My bus dropped me two hours before school started . She was there waiting ...... I brought a sammich for lunch cause I couldn't afford the caffeteria . She brought a sammich so she could teach those who needed help during lunch .
She rewarded my efforts with A's for both semesters and sent me on my way with a solid background in geometry that continues to serve me well to this day .
I reward her by never forgetting her selfless efforts . Wish there were many like her today .

It turns out later in life the most influential teacher I had was Charles Gambrell. Mr. Gambrell, cause I never had the nerve to call him by his first name. I hated that sob. I argued mathmatics with him, not knowing he had a degree in math, and I was right, but he knew the party line and made me look stupid in front of the whole class. That b*st*rd sent me home because my hair touched my ears and said don't come back til you get it cut. I stayed out about a week, cause it was a free ride as far as I was concerned. He had a good lookin daughter, and I contemplated askin her out just to p*ss him off. I would daydream about the things I would cook up to do to him if I were king. Underneath all that, I really, really wanted him to accept me, as I looked up to him as a role model. He never did, so screw him. He passed away a few years ago. Good riddance. His wife who was our music teacher passed away not too long ago, so I got that Facebook thing and I sent my condolences to her. (Did not mention my plan to despoil her to p*ss off dad) She thanked me and mentioned that her Dad thought a lot of me and that I was one of the smartest kids he ever taught. I got that acceptance I was lookin for, but I guess I always had it. Charles Gambrell, remember that name. 'Mr.' Gambrell to me, and all y'all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back