Target question

mag

Jun 8, 2007
Puzzled. Using my Vaquero with the 5 3/4" and the stock concentric coil.

Three times this week this has happened to me.

Been practicing using all metal mode then switching to disc mode on every signal I get. Seems to be more productive than just running in disc mode all the time.
But...

On three occations I've got a good repeatable signal in every direction, even with the disc turned to max. So obviously, I start digging. Recover a coin, but still get a slight signal in every direction . Keep digging, now I'm down 12 to 14" still got a good signal. Keep digging until I can't get any deeper without a #2 shovel. Could this be a ghost signal or maybe something very large and very deep?
???

mag,

Well, I don't have enough info from you to answer so here are some questions: What are you doing about ground balancing? Is the signal after you have recovered the coin sharp or soft, explain "slight". What have you done with the threshold control, are you "super tuned" or just set at a pleasing tone level? Describe the initial signal you got in all metal mode. Joe

I've had that happen more than once and discovered that another target was on the surface, right on the edge of the hole I'd just cored out. Sometimes it was a very SMALL item such as a BB or, once, halve of a rivet from a pair of blue jeans. Other times it would be a bent pull-tab ring and at least once, a coin on edge at a slanted angle.
Try this test. Turn "disc" down to the lowest setting. Then, slowly bring the coil into the target area. Take note where the leading edge of the coil is when the response first starts. Continue the stroke and note where the trailing edge is when the response stops. Do this from at least 4 different directions. Find the center of these points and you'll see where the target is in relation to the edge of the hole.
I hope this helps some. It works for me.

Shortstack said:
I've had that happen more than once and discovered that another target was on the surface, right on the edge of the hole I'd just cored out. Sometimes it was a very SMALL item such as a BB or, once, halve of a rivet from a pair of blue jeans. Other times it would be a bent pull-tab ring and at least once, a coin on edge at a slanted angle.
Try this test. Turn "disc" down to the lowest setting. Then, slowly bring the coil into the target area. Take note where the leading edge of the coil is when the response first starts. Continue the stroke and note where the trailing edge is when the response stops. Do this from at least 4 different directions. Find the center of these points and you'll see where the target is in relation to the edge of the hole.
I hope this helps some. It works for me.

Thanks I never thought of that..
GB was exactly right with only a slight hum for the threshold.
AM signal was just noticable.

mag,

I agree with Shortstack you may just have another tiny target giving a undiscriminated signal on the edge of the original hole.

Joe

I agree with Shortstack you may just have another tiny target giving a undiscriminated signal on the edge of the original hole.
With the Tesoro's being super sensitive, tiny objects that are conductive set it off. Also try raising your coil while waving it over the signal till it stops. This is where the target is that is bugging you.

Sandman said:
With the Tesoro's being super sensitive, tiny objects that are conductive set it off. Also try raising your coil while waving it over the signal till it stops. This is where the target is that is bugging you.

Those tiny targets get discriminated out at the outer edges of the coil, but overcome the disc. setting after they're farther inside the coil's perimeter and sound off. That makes them seem inside the hole you've dug. I had a corroded BB run me NUTS one afternoon. I finally used the nugget hunting technique and found it. I HATE CORRODED BBs. :-[

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back