Sword Buckle...Gold Rush Bukle

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I have several partial buckles that date the 1850's to the 1860's I'm guessing.
I'm guessing pre civil war..

Buckle 2.jpg

buckle 1.jpg

Probably light weight junk gear sold to miners in San Francisco that was sure to break.

The broken one appears to have been used to plug a hole?
Embossed "W TASSIG & C." apparently related to I. Tassig whiskey?

Any insight provided would be appreciated. What did the miners carry on the canvas belt? Could be described as a sash buckle...what was carried on a sash? Apparently these same style belts were used to carry swords in the wars?

I have found parts of the buckles over the years, but never knew what they were.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
tt5493.jpg
First two: Stamped brass tongue and wreath, Rope Boarder Eagle, 1850-1860, no military affiliation. Very commonly found. Not sash buckles, sometimes held gun as in photo, or often just a Bowie knife.

W.Taussig &Co., 1850-52 much rarer
IMG_0770.JPG

Same guy upon arrival in SF, then after six month in mines in first image above
+k4073.jpgme2.jpg

Last edited:
well miner might wear a belt to be able to hold a hand type pick ax device on their hip in it while panning ...a knife sheath or even a pistol could also be worn as well

those type of 2 part sword belt buckles were commonly called tongue and wreath buckles

you have the "tongue" parts --the wreath part was typically the weaker part that broke ...the tongue part fit in a slot in the wreath part and turned locking in place ..

Last edited:
Both my dad and I have found parts and pieces of these buckles and never knew what they were. Neither of us have found a complete buckle.
The small size and light weight construction used as a belt buckle is what really amazes me.

The design sure has a military feel to it...eagle with shield...13 stars.
I wonder if the die was left over from an earlier military conflict?

The gold rush miners of the 1850s were very patriotic everything form Bowie knives to gunpowder flasks had eagles or other patriotic images. The stamped brass buckles made by William Taussig were made especially to market to California miners and had no military connection.
Here's an early add for when Taussig was in bussines with another gold rush buckle and belt manufacturer in SF in 1850s. Miners, store keepers, mule skinners all wore this style of buckle at the time. That is not to say proven military buckles don't turn up in California mining camps, they do on occasion, but are extremely rare. Most have some connection to soldiers from the Mexican American war who headed into the goldfields. There was also the sale of some military surplus as mining provisons. The style you have picture are not the type associated with the military, but produce for civilian use. Either way they are fantastic gold rush relics and you are very fortunate to have such an historic place to hunt. If you have any other pics of buckles or parts you have found I would love to see them! Those buckles are my primary target when I metal detect. tumblr_o8xz41rrJD1uqc2n6o1_500.jpgP1000751.JPG5th_ace_250.jpgbk0000x917w-FID5.jpgminers.jpg

Last edited:
Cool Post.

The gold rush miners of the 1850s were very patriotic everything form Bowie knives to gunpowder flasks

Caprock... there is someone local to me that I have heard collects these buckles as well, so your not the only one.
He passes me on the road nearly every day in his red truck, but I have not had a chance to stop and talk with him.

Thanks for the information. Love those old photos.

OK so I am wondering...this also could potentially be the center of a buckle?..although I don't see how it would attach to anything. It's about the same size and construction. It doesn't look like a button...

DSCN1290.jpg

DSCN1291.jpg

Take a look at my reply to your original post, "Concho face button"
You are correct,it is a center disc.
Nice find, no Texas affiliation, another California gold rush buckle

Last edited:
Thank you for that info, I didn't see that you had responded.

Ok here is another mystery object..different construction, but similar size.

This one appears to be cast iron and does show some wear...more like what I would expect to see used as a buckle.

20170307_205829.jpg

20170307_205843.jpg

I'll have to go back to the cabin where I found the star buckle part...maybe the rest is there. I was thinking it was at least 1860's based on a tree boring I did there.
I definitely have a good feel now for these light weight buckles.

My dad dumped out a few cans of various things he has picked up over the years....No other miners buckles so far.
He did have a very nicely engraved silver buckle of some sort that had a jewelers mark on the back. It had a bear head engraved in the corners. Again light weight construction which previously led me to believe it would be part of a women's outfit. Now I'm thinking it may be a man's buckle. I'll post a picture of it in the Relics -> Buckles forum later this week.

Here are a couple more to keep an eye out for These are among the most sought after of the gold rush buckles.
The first one is known as the "Miner" and is stamped brass, notice the associated belt adjuster, those are commonly found at camp sites. The 2nd buckle is the California State seal or "Eureka," buckle and it is made of cast brass. The 3ird buckle is heavy cast brass, and is probably the most commonly found gold rush buckle.
mqdefault.jpgbuckles00000_zpse665caac.jpgIMG_0964.jpg

Last edited:
worth noting --califorina was often called "the golden bear state" and a bear was on its state seal * so the bear head stamped into the silver buckle could stand for "local made item" by a local area silversmith --it might be his hallmark / trademark

IMAUDIGGER,
These are belt buckles and I can tell you at least in my area (Kansas) they were worn by the military. Found these in a Dragoon Camp 1850's a few years back. The first one I've been told is one of the rarest of all stamped brass buckles rarely ever seen.
IMG_2410.JPG

Here's another one...
IMG_2411.JPG

Here is an 8 pointed cast brass tongue...
IMG_2412.JPG

Flintlock, those are great looking buckles. Those cast ones, look like they would be fairly durable (yet they are both broken).
Maybe it's just a flaw in the tongue/wreath design.

A plow damaged the cast brass buckle, might have been a different story if found in the woods but it don't matter I got the best part anyway!

Just recently I started getting into buckles, and really paying attention. I remember finding a partial wreath, carefully studying it, then laying it on a rock not knowing what it was. Need to go back to a few spots and see if I can find it. Many times people detect an area and set the "discards" in a pile near a tree. Might be worth checking those junk piles.

My brother went through his stuff and found a center piece that he kept, not knowing what it was.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back