Switching over to cache hunting

Where might the bottle have been in relation to a door threshold? An inner or outer corner? A feed bunk or bin back when?
It was likely secure where the owner could keep an eye on it and still have reasonably easy access.

Would be interesting to know it's position in relation to it's original deposit and the barns original structure and contents.( No I didn't ask the finder.)

Years ago, KvonM wrote and published Waybills to El Dorado. It's out of print today, but copies can be found. It has twenty-five stories of plants that had not been found. Many years later, it is my guess that what could be recovered has been. But each story is valuable. There is one about a 19th century California politician who probably hid a fortune at his second home at Lake Tahoe. Well, above is the story of 20th century Paul Powell in Illinois. The differences are time and place. The essentials remain the same.

"Jesse Rascoe" (Ed Bartholomew) wrote several classic books that contain reliable information from 19th and early 20th century newspapers, and pioneer accounts, of lost mines and treasures throughout the west. He was a rare "treasure" writer who presented facts, not just what somebody else had penned before him. He also wrote Empty Money Pits; Or, Texas Treasure Finds (1974). It is just what the title states - and each recovery is an example of what remains to be located. Send me a PM if you're interested and can't locate a copy.

The best work on the subject is Harvey Bissell's Characters & Cache Planters (2021) - over 500 pages of solid leads. For years bootleg copies of his typescript were circulating through the professional treasure hunting community. Bootleg copies were sold for $100 and up. Finally, George Shiotelis did the heavy lifting to see Bissell's fine work in print. At some $50 it isn't cheap. It is an investment that should pay dividends to the careful reader.

Start documenting the finds you read about and the leads you come across. Write down the Who, Where, What, Why, and When. You'll begin to see patterns emerge. Human nature hasn't changed in millennia.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
Not the first time in history that corruption and greed resulted in lost treasure waiting to be found.

2.0 -

Addiitonally, Charles Garrett wrote and published Treasure Caches Can Be Found (2004) and there is H. Glenn Carson's Cache Hunting (1984). Both have the virtues of being relatively inexpensive, and readily available. Each one has a few useful tips. Garrett, in my opinion, spends too much time on mythical outlaw plants.

The number one book remains Sudden Wealth; An Introduction to Treasure Hunting (1964) by "Deek Gladson" (Charles Dean and Gladyce M. Miller). It is the best single work on becoming a treasure finder, rather than just a treasure hunter, ever published. Sadly, it is long out-of-print and if you can find a copy today for fifty bucks you're doing very well. However, it will pay for itself to the careful reader. As Jim Forsythe states in the Introduction, "I've found my share of buried treasure and now enjoy a prosperous retirement. that few men can afford. Had this book been available to me 30 years ago, I would be a multimillionaire today."

A good source for stories about finds - again, blueprints for the future if you read between the lines - is the 1961 Treasure Hunters by Robert I. Nesmith and John S. Potter, Jr. (authors, respectively, of the two classics Dig for Pirate Treasure (1958) and the 1960 (revised in 1972) "Homewrecker" - The Treasure Diver's Guide). Largely forgotten today, Treasure Hunters remains a most interesting and useful little book.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back