Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• THURS 1 006.JPG
    THURS 1 006.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 351
Not sure what cal. it is from the pic, but I can tell you it is not civil war. The crimp marks show a technique for loading the cartridge that was not in use during the war. The chalk white patina on the bullet generally means it has some age on it but, depending on the area and ground contents, it could happen to a bullet in as little as 60 or 70 years. Are you fellows getting any good confederate artifacts from your camp. Good luck.

Upvote 0
duggap said:
Not sure what cal. it is from the pic, but I can tell you it is not civil war. The crimp marks show a technique for loading the cartridge that was not in use during the war. The chalk white patina on the bullet generally means it has some age on it but, depending on the area and ground contents, it could happen to a bullet in as little as 60 or 70 years. Are you fellows getting any good confederate artifacts from your camp. Good luck.
We have had some fair luck in this area. Most of what we find are bullet's. The most interesting of these, are the one that have been carved. Several buttons, Some came out of the ground, looking fairly nice. others not. Buckles. But, not any of the beloved Confederate ones. And the usual gun parts and so on. We are keeping records of our finds. And marking the find areas.
I've not dug one like this before. I have dug my share of 22 and 25s over the years. This doe's not seem to be one of them.

Clayton

Upvote 0
I'd guess the bullet is from a .38 caliber cartridge, possibly a .38 Special or a .357 magnum. It could even be a .38 S&W, or .38 long Colt. The .38 S&W is the oldest of four. Monty

Upvote 0
How many 25 caliber bullets has anyone seen that is crimped lead?My next guess would be .32 caliber as in .32 Long Colt. I load .32 calibe 88 grain lead bullets in my 7.62X23 Russian revolver, Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back