Sunday's finds! Arrowhead, 1800s Silver, and Civil War Button in Indiana

bcbirdman

Apr 14, 2023
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had a fantastic weekend at a permission I've been to once before. It's an old homesite in a cow pasture in western Indiana. The first time I hunted this spot, the grass was pretty tall, and I had a feeling that I was missing some good targets. I got a Garrett Reaper coil for Christmas and, knowing snow had probably flattened the grass over the last month, I figured I'd have better luck going back now. Here are my best finds:

Silver 1876 Seated Liberty quarter dollar
1829 Large Cent (my best large cent condition yet)
Civil War Union Infantry button (so pumped about this find being from central Indiana. Civil war relics are not super common here, but not unheard of)
A nice suspender strap from 1800s and a few flat buttons, some of which say "London" on the backmark

Also found a pretty little arrowhead this past weekend. Anyone out there know the ID for this arrowhead style? I've looked on projectilepoints.net for all the points in Indiana and my best guess is a "Wade Barbed" point. Location found is near Terre Haute, Indiana. From the base to the broken tip, it measures about 1.5 inches. Thanks for any info!

Attachments

• IMG_2833.jpg
    IMG_2833.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2827.jpg
    IMG_2827.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 94
  • 72869846760__F33B0B8C-4255-48B4-AEED-4B3EF3F2EAD8.jpg
    72869846760__F33B0B8C-4255-48B4-AEED-4B3EF3F2EAD8.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2822.jpg
    IMG_2822.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2821.jpg
    IMG_2821.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2810.jpg
    IMG_2810.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 26
Had a fantastic weekend at a permission I've been to once before. It's an old homesite in a cow pasture in western Indiana. The first time I hunted this spot, the grass was pretty tall, and I had a feeling that I was missing some good targets. I got a Garrett Reaper coil for Christmas and, knowing snow had probably flattened the grass over the last month, I figured I'd have better luck going back now. Here are my best finds:

Civil War Union Infantry button (so pumped about this find being from central Indiana. Civil war relics are not super common here, but not unheard of)
A nice suspender strap from 1800s and a few flat buttons, some of which say "London" on the backmark

Also found a pretty little arrowhead this past weekend. Anyone out there know the ID for this arrowhead style? I've looked on projectilepoints.net for all the points in Indiana and my best guess is a "Wade Barbed" point. Location found is near Terre Haute, Indiana. From the base to the broken tip, it measures about 1.5 inches. Thanks for any info!
very nice collection of finds, well done. love that button!

Looks like your large cent is the more common large letter version.

I am in Terre Haute at work right now! Great finds, I may be going metal detecting tomorrow in TH if you might want to meet somewhere. I have only about 3 permissions there and they are in the city on the south end. Congrats again on the finds. HH - Ryan

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back