✅ SOLVED Stumped about a Napoli Button/Snap, Military (?)

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every single day this week, I have found something that I just can't ID. To my surprise, I found this curious little button or the other half of a snap.

The writing on the front is so faint, I had to use a high power loupe to make out the letters. The top of the snap looks to be "Mousta"... as in The Valley of Mousta? The bottom word is easier to make out and it does say "Napoli." I realize the "M" looks like a letter "C" but under the loupe I believe it's an "M". It's a fairly flourished font... say that 3 times.

I realize I don't have the best pictures and will try again.

FullSizeRender.jpg

The snap is a little smaller than a penny and has very small traces of gilt on the back. I'm clueless.. any history dynamos out there tonight?

DSC_1077.JPGDSC_1078.JPGDSC_1079.JPGDSC_1080.JPGDSC_1081.JPG

I can't find anything specific to the company, but I'm pretty sure the button is from mid 20th C work clothes or coveralls.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I'm with DCM. This item was once a part of common clothing. 1920 to 1940 is just my guess from the period it was produced? ... I did find a modern button/rivet?? with the word Napoli on it. It may be what you found is related to the Italian garment industry, or so it seems to me?.

Attachments

• napoli button.JPG
    napoli button.JPG
    334.8 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0
Makes sense I think. I did find a rivet from Woodward Lathrop, so I guess people were tearing off their clothes out here. ; ) Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
It reminds me of a letterman jacket snap button... find the all the time.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back