Stumbled across the remanence of old plantation and what is all this?

bbheigle0605

Feb 9, 2013
Hi everyone! I live in the same home I grew up in and I'm surrounded by agriculture fields. I live about a hour north of Vicksburg, MS. The kids and I were walking in the field next to my house and we suddenly saw broken glass of all colors everywhere! One of the broken pieces I could identify the maker, Illinois Glass Company (Diamond with the "I" in the center. No "O" for Owens). The kids and I spent the next several days picking up most of the glass and medal. Im thinking it was a house that burned bc of charred bricks and medal or it was a garbage pit? I found some brass/copper pieces that I'm not sure what they are. One could be a button off of overalls and a bullet casing but not sure the era. Also, I found a piece that belonged on a musket? What do y'all think? Anything of interest? I'm a beginner so I'm still learning :) Thanks!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• image-3627189417.jpg
    image-3627189417.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 159
  • image-3667303806.jpg
    image-3667303806.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 147
  • image-1777219022.jpg
    image-1777219022.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 160
  • image-2966856869.jpg
    image-2966856869.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 156
Oh and my house sits on the land that was once a plantation from the 1850's-1915. Give or take of course

Upvote 0
Oh really! I must research other threads to see how to clean it. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like there was lots of action and people there back when.
Hunt the death out of that place, Lot's of stuff to get out of your way the find the real goodies:icon_thumleft:

Tim

Upvote 0
Looks like there was lots of action and people there back when.
Hunt the death out of that place, Lot's of stuff to get out of your way the find the real goodies:icon_thumleft:

Tim

You're right! It's a lot of tractor parts and modern stuff. Found some pottery too but not sure about it.

Upvote 0
I don't see a piece of a gun. I've built muzzle loading firearms and that sure doesn't look like a piece of gun lock to me. I do see a hook that might have been on a single tree though. You've got an old spot, it might even pay off to dig and screen.

Upvote 0
I don't see a piece of a gun. I've built muzzle loading firearms and that sure doesn't look like a piece of gun lock to me. I do see a hook that might have been on a single tree though. You've got an old spot, it might even pay off to dig and screen.

Thanks! The spot is small. About the size of a 2 bedroom small house. It's in a large 200 acre field. Strange to walk alone the field and see nothing then you come across this area and it's something every step you take. Kids have enjoyed it! Keeps them busy haha!

Here is something else that my husband and I can't seem to agree on.

Attachments

• image-3105242186.jpg
    image-3105242186.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1111639268.jpg
    image-1111639268.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would it be possible to get a couple of more pics of the big hook in the box? It looks like it may have been hand forged and blacksmith made objects have always interested me. Thanks! And looks like you found a great spot to hunt!

Upvote 0
Would it be possible to get a couple of more pics of the big hook in the box? It looks like it may have been hand forged and blacksmith made objects have always interested me. Thanks! And looks like you found a great spot to hunt!

Not a problem! Thanks!!

The first photo is just a small example of the MANY items we picked up. I can't tell what is old and what is recent farm junk!

Attachments

• image-2369001795.jpg
    image-2369001795.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 99
  • image-409906343.jpg
    image-409906343.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 94
  • image-399850644.jpg
    image-399850644.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 106
  • image-3965085648.jpg
    image-3965085648.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 0
:occasion14:That bottle looks like a medicine bottle, basically all your artifacts are def. 19th century, I'm almost certain if you were to dig that area out archaeology style you would hit an old cellar and a mother load of 19th century relics!! Kewl finds :occasion14:

Upvote 0
:occasion14:That bottle looks like a medicine bottle, basically all your artifacts are def. 19th century, I'm almost certain if you were to dig that area out archaeology style you would hit an old cellar and a mother load of 19th century relics!! Kewl finds :occasion14:

Really!! Gosh how exciting!!! We have a cheap medal detector and its virtually impossible to use bc of all the nails. It's still so much of it on the surface. I'm hoping to get most of it off the ground before they plant!

Upvote 0
Thanks! The spot is small. About the size of a 2 bedroom small house. It's in a large 200 acre field. Strange to walk alone the field and see nothing then you come across this area and it's something every step you take. Kids have enjoyed it! Keeps them busy haha!

Here is something else that my husband and I can't seem to agree on.

It looks like an end fitting, the male connector of a hydraulic hose or compressed air hose. The opposite or female part of the connector has a slip sleeve that is spring loaded and sits over some little ball bearings. Pull the slip sleeve back, the ball bearings are loose, the two parts are joined, and the sleeve is released, and the little ball bearings then rest in the groove you see in the photo. This makes a tight, high pressure coupling that doesn't leak. male and female fittings.jpgThat photo has the male and female fittings, female fitting.jpgthis picture is a closeup of the female fitting showing the ball bearings.

Upvote 0
I have extensive machining experience. Looks like the outside radius was either for a bearing race or a bearing coupling of some sort. The base looks like it may have some flat areas on the OD. Just as Bosnmate claims.

Upvote 0
Thanks y'all. Really appreciate the help. Darn! My husband was right. Hard to figure out the difference bt modern farm junk from the good stuff.

Upvote 0
A long soak in apple cider vinegar will take off rust, but after it comes out you'll have to put something on it to preserve it or it will immediately start to rust again. A thin layer of rust won't hurt - it may even add character - but thick clumps of rust corrosion will. I usually use a thin coat of Vaseline, it keeps the rust off even after it dries.

Upvote 0
A long soak in apple cider vinegar will take off rust, but after it comes out you'll have to put something on it to preserve it or it will immediately start to rust again. A thin layer of rust won't hurt - it may even add character - but thick clumps of rust corrosion will. I usually use a thin coat of Vaseline, it keeps the rust off even after it dries.

Is this method used for both brass/copper and iron? Thank you!!

Upvote 0
Electrolysis is best for iron. Looks like a possible gun lock to me but there is a ton of rust. Could be anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been reading on the different methods in the cleaning forum on here. I took the few brass items I found and used the Peroxide method for practice yesterday. Hope they aren't valuable haha! They turned out ok. Old bullet I found has a U stamp on it which I didn't know was on there before cleaning. Really neat! Thank you!

Here are some better photos of the mystery item.

Attachments

• image-3863420063.jpg
    image-3863420063.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1482295584.jpg
    image-1482295584.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back