✅ SOLVED Strange Rocks?

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long time no see everyone! We moved a couple years ago and I've finally been able to take some time to metal detect on our property. Our home was built in 1912 and has seen some updates so treasure hunting is a little tough, but I've managed to find a few things which I'll post in the finds topic.

While digging a few targets, I came across quite a few small to medium-sized bones, nails, and a bunch of these strange rocks (??)

They're not metal, but aren't bone either. Does anyone know what they might be? They have a strange look and in places appear iridescent as if they may have been heated or are made up of multiple materials. One in this picture shows some "layers" as well. What do you think?

----------

UPDATE: 2015/05/02
After doing a lot more metal detecting and digging a bunch of these in a few areas, I've come to the conclusion that they're coal clinkers from the original boiler in the house.

https://twistediron.wordpress.com/20...e-and-clinker/

Funny enough, we're putting a new coal boiler IN right now
smiley.gif
The original enormous boiler was removed years ago and a fuel oil boiler replaced it. About 10-15 years ago the previous homeowners put in an electric boiler with the fuel oil as a backup.

Now we've pulled out the old giant pipes in the basement and are putting in a very efficient coal boiler and new lines to the original radiators, using the original cistern as a coal bin. We'll use the electro-boiler as a backup.

We have a lot of coal in North Dakota and in fact most of our electricity is produced by coal burning. We'll have some "clinkers" of our own to get rid of soon, and I think it's pretty cool that we're putting in a system running on the same fuel the house originally was heated with!

A question for any of you who dig privies and/or dumps ...would coal ash be thrown in its own place, or might I find some bottles and other neat things if I dig a small trench where I'm finding these clickers? I did find some small bones and a couple bits of pottery in with these so I'm hopeful they just dumped everything into one pit.

Attachments

• strange rocks.jpg
    strange rocks.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
The one on the right reminds me of a piece of ancient coral?

Upvote 0
Staci,
Being here in the Midwest they look very familiar.
I believe they are Slag.
Much small time and large scale iron processing around here and we find similar looking rocks all over.
Many of our road beds around here are filled with slag form the iron mills near Cleveland.
If there is no history of smelting in your area then they may be from a previous barn or house fire that melted the ground.

Upvote 0
Slag or Vesicular Basalt ??. May have come in to the area as rail road ballast, decorative landscape material rock or even to be crushed for sanding the roads in winter. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone! Slag sounds like the most probable...I don't believe there is any history of smelting in my town, but there was a barn in the vicinity of where this was found. How would a building burning down create slag...just random junk from the building materials? They have no metal in them at all.

Upvote 0
Could be slag from a black smith shop or coal stove that was used for heat in a home.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After doing a lot more metal detecting and digging a bunch of these in a few areas, I've come to the conclusion that they're coal clinkers from the original boiler in the house.

https://twistediron.wordpress.com/2012/11/07/coal-coke-and-clinker/

Funny enough, we're putting a new coal boiler IN right now :) The original enormous boiler was removed years ago and a fuel oil boiler replaced it. About 10-15 years ago the previous homeowners put in an electric boiler with the fuel oil as a backup.

Now we've pulled out the old giant pipes in the basement and are putting in a very efficient coal boiler and new lines to the original radiators, using the original cistern as a coal bin. We'll use the electro-boiler as a backup.

We have a lot of coal in North Dakota and in fact most of our electricity is produced by coal burning. We'll have some "clinkers" of our own to get rid of soon, and I think it's pretty cool that we're putting in a system running on the same fuel the house originally was heated with!

A question for any of you who dig privies and/or dumps ...would coal ash be thrown in its own place, or might I find some bottles and other neat things if I dig a small trench where I'm finding these clickers? I did find some small bones and a couple bits of pottery in with these so I'm hopeful they just dumped everything into one pit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back