Strange rock/fossil?

forgetaboudit

Feb 15, 2014
Milwaukee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember exactly where or when I found this, but I was doing a little spring cleaning and re-found it lol If you click the photos, they get larger.

There is a crevice in it that looks like a geode. The Styrofoam looking parts are rock hard and in the little hole looking things as hard as well. It looks like there is also some quartz in it as well.

CAM00045.jpgCAM00046.jpgCAM00047.jpgCAM00048.jpgCAM00049.jpgCAM00050.jpgCAM00051.jpgCAM00052.jpg

Any ideas??? Its a WAY COOL looking rock!

There is no orange color to it at all. Its all chalk white, cream, slight tan, and glistening yellow/white crystals inside (geode)

Upvote 0
looks like silified sponge, or some form of coral maybe,silified wood from wyoming has been known to contian quartz vugs like your piece there,but doesnt look like wood to me. sponge or coral,either way very cool piece man!

Upvote 0
There is no orange color to it at all...
True.. because you're sitting there looking at it.. all I see in the first few images is "orange" because of the improper lighting.. Todays lights are cast an orange/yellowish haze on the subjects.. I would suggest a true white light or even the sunlight for better image results. Oh and calcite along with a variety of other mineral can't be classed as a specific color. Colors can vary. So what may appear to be a ruby.. is nothing more than a heat treated topaz..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just left a message for the Geology professor at the local college.... maybe I can meet him and see what he thinks. I think this is the coolest rock I've seen

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Just got a call from the secretary.... It's Spring Break so he wont be in most likely. So I sent him an email as well in hopes he checks it while at home.

Upvote 0
it does look like a honeycomb also,when something organic becomes silified ,it is a form of fossilization and can have vugs/cavitys ,only the organic matierial is replaced by quartz,and not a shale/silt/mudstone, a geode is not a fossil,but a natural occuring quartz formation that has a cavity within it.yours is clearly a replacment of organic matierial and is not a geode, so it is a form of fossil ,hope this helps a little.

Upvote 0
it does look like a honeycomb also,when something organic becomes silified ,it is a form of fossilization and can have vugs/cavitys ,only the organic matierial is replaced by quartz,and not a shale/silt/mudstone, a geode is not a fossil,but a natural occuring quartz formation that has a cavity within it.yours is clearly a replacment of organic matierial and is not a geode, so it is a form of fossil ,hope this helps a little.
The inside looks like a geode? Its crystalline in form, sparkles in the light, and has that one crack/crevice that I've seen before in geodes.
Honeycomb of bees or wasps??

Upvote 0
Hey forgetaboutit- why not post it on the fossils pages? The word to focus on is coral- not honeycomb. But what you have is a fossil- Turkish Man was right. And the crystals grow to replace organic matter. A geode is formed a different way, and here in the rocks and gems pages, those things count a lot. Try re-posting it. You might get more detailed info. Yakker

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back