Strange Item Found In Older School Yard

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today in an abandoned school yard (1930-1980.) I thought that the fold was the result of damage, but upon getting it home and cleaning it, I see that the maker actually folded it over and tack welded the flap to the back. There is a small riveted strip of metal on the back also, purpose unknown. The construction appears to be copper with a gilt finish. The artwork on the front appears to be a stylish honeybee or something simular. Is this a pin, a brooch, or a cub/girl scout item? Thanks for your opinions. Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)

Attachments

• Whatisit.jpg 001.jpg
    Whatisit.jpg 001.jpg
    691.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Whatisit.jpg 002.jpg
    Whatisit.jpg 002.jpg
    757.1 KB · Views: 153
Did you ever figure out what this relic is? I would be curious to know. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hey Creskol, Thanks for your interest, I always enjoy your solving of mysteries on the forum. I have no idea what this item is. I am leaning toward a pendant, as the top is folded over and tack brazed down on purpose, allowing a chain or string to pass through the top fold. Maybe an art class project. Strange indeed. Thanks, Sub

Upvote 0
Have you looked through some photos of military medals? I get the feeling it may have had a ribbon attached at one time.

Upvote 0
The artwork on the front is simply an Art Deco style image - not representing anything specific. It was in vogue in the '30's to the 50's.

At first I thought it might be a medallion from an old school picture hanger. But I don't think it is big enough for that. Could it be half of a ladies dress belt buckle?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Great feedback guys, I think we are getting closer.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back