Stone Awl? Opinions Sought...Real or Fake?

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
So...I stopped by a farm house this morning to get permission to hunt their fields. The old boy said 'no problem' and said he had something I might be interested in. A few minutes later he emerged with this piece. He said he had it for 'years' and didn't recall where it came from. I asked him if it was possible he purchased it and he said 'definitely not'...said he wasn't a picker at auctions, etc. He figures somewhere along the line, someone in his family picked it up locally. He said it meant nothing to him and asked if I wanted to buy it. Although I was on the fence as to authenticity, he only wanted $20 so I took a chance. I don't like to buy artifacts--especially fringe cases like this. I've never seen anything like it and couldn't locate it any of my books. What do you think? Best I can figure is that if it is real, it is a leather awl?

Know this before you cast your opinion: Better than half of the 300-400 artifacts I've personally found in the last 4-5 years came within a few miles of this farm. There are definitely good pieces there. Also, I know you can not authenticate from a pic.

KEY QUESTION: Have you ever seen anything like it?

Attachments

• Awl 1.gif
    Awl 1.gif
    64.1 KB · Views: 567
  • Awl 2.gif
    Awl 2.gif
    96.5 KB · Views: 456
  • Awl 3.gif
    Awl 3.gif
    93 KB · Views: 474
Upvote 0
I say it's real. Yup, that's my vote...........REAL