Sterling Wings! Who?What?When?Where?

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donna (Nana40) and I were hunting a new spot for the second time. We hit the back yard today and I found these wings right out from the back door.
They are marked Sterling on both inside wings. I have found similar ones online but they are all flat. Why are these curved? Are they aviation wings or what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.jpg

O.K....it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind....or just not
make it up at all. :wink:

I still don't think it looks altered but I do agree it had the prongs for a
hat badge. So...it was a really curved hat or someone altered it.

If it was altered for a bracelet it would have been for a child or very
petite lady. My daughter wears an extra small bracelet and it wouldn't
fit her wrist.

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it.

Ya'll have a great day and Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0
Yes, WarsawDaddy. It say's "Sterling"! ;D It's marked like that on both wing back ends.

Upvote 0
OK, I was at the Charleston Civil War show this weekend and I was looking at the display of WWII items and the guy has this same exact wings bent and all and it was attached to a sterling silver bracelet. I talked with the guy and he told me that some of the guys would take their wings and have them bent and attached to a flat sterling silver piece and made into a bracelet for their wife/girl friend, etc. Kinda like a "forget me not" piece, while the guys were serving our country in war.

Anyhow, thought you'd like to know this info. wish I would have remembered my camera because this guy had half a prop from a plane with the Japanese flag painted on it about 12 times along with a units unofficial nose art, really cool, I have been wanting a prop for display for some time but I digress, hope this helps you out.

Upvote 0
I am no "wingman" but to me they look more like paratrooper wings with the parachute ground off and polished. Even though some think different, I think it is a very professional job of modifying them for some other reason. They do have the have scars where the clip on estanchions on the wing tips were once soldered on, and it looks like something else was added or removed from the middle on the back. Just my WAG. Very nice find non the less. Monty

Upvote 0
the wings appear to be an old hat badge modified into a sweethearts pin...or along the way to becoming a sweetheart pin...i have sold a number of wings modified to be worn by a airmans girlfriend. some were pins, some were bracelets, all were original wings modified.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back