Jmann69

Apr 1, 2013
Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found today! Lots of things coming from this spot. I think it is a match striker box. Sterling with a makers mark. Looks like a circled W with an arrow going through it.

ForumRunner_20130921_223646.png

ForumRunner_20130921_223655.png

ForumRunner_20130921_223704.png

Upvote 6
yep,nice Vesta!!

You say Vesta. What is that? Ive been seeing that term used.

that mark is from the Webster company. I'd say it dates probably 1900 - 1910. super cool find!

You say Vesta. What is that? Ive been seeing that term used.
...its what you have....match safe,match box,or Vesta....Google it...."Match Vesta"

Last edited:
Very nice. Congrats.

...you know what?I looked into your question and may be wrong......a Vesta is actually the "match".....?I have always called Match safes Vestas
What's a vesta?
A vesta is simply a wick coated with fewer layers of wax than a birthday candle. Usually two to four coatings will suffice, depending on the wax formula you are using. Beeswax, for example, being thicker, will take fewer coatings to produce a satisfactory vesta

Cool. I've never heard of these before. Love the history learned from detecting.

:laughing7:...then you have Lucifers....

Vesta is an earlier term for a type of short stick match for fire lighting.

The name appears to have gained popularity in England during the 19th Century. The name Vesta is rooted in Roman mythology, where Vesta is the virgin goddess of hearth, home, and family. Roman temples symbolized the presence of Vesta, with a sacred fire burning at a hearth. With technological developments in manufacturing fire striking matches, the term Vesta became synonymous with these small useful tools in lighting fires for home, hearth, or anywhere.

CC Hunter

Very cool CC. Interesting.

that mark is from the Webster company. I'd say it dates probably 1900 - 1910. super cool find!

Thanks jewelerguy. Definitely Webster company.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back