Stealth scoop

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been trying to contact Owl Engineering Inc. This is the company that makes and sells Stealth sand scoops. I've tried texting, E-mailing and calling their phone. The number is 586-755-5821 and all I get is a response saying that this is a invalid number. anyone else had this problem. I'm calling because my 920i sand scoop has broken welds and I want to have it repaired or replaced. Thanks. Ed

Upvote 0
Something to keep in mind, you can sell a $200 scoop 5 years down the road for $150.00 all day long, I have done so twice. Cost me $10.00 a year to have top of line scoop for 5 years $10.00 a year...:laughing7:

Who makes those?
XTREME ..

Crazy prices but you get what you pay for, Quality scoop w/10 year warranty is good. Luckily I bought 2 similar (720i)s 7 years ago from Chuck at 189.00 each and the CF handles cost me 100.oo each.'

Friend of mine has one of the Titanium scoops, it is amazingly lighter and if your old and hunt the open beach I can see having one would be easier. Luckily I hunt in the water so weight is not much of a issue.

(copied from another post) SS version (3lbs 5oz) for a week now weighing in heavier than the X3 Titanium does at 2.1lbs (both less handle) 1 pound 4 ounces difference.
https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...-extreme-690-scoop.639422/page-2#post-6577095

385.00 for SS CF handle and 645.00 for Titanium w/CF handle second pic
Figure in shipping of 50 dollars?
SNAG-0001.jpg
SNAG-0000.jpg

I saw a T-Rex 9.5” stainless with Anderson carbon fiber handle for sale locally asking $275. What do you think of that combo and price? Thx

I have the Trex. Great scoop and that's a really good price but I like the Stealth 920 more

Reactions: OBN
I use a shovel. ha ha ha.. But you can't use a shovel in the water :dontknow:

I have the Trex. Great scoop and that's a really good price but I like the Stealth 920 more
Have had my T-Rex for 10 years and it’s still as good as the day I bought it. Clears the sand and small enough holes to catch most of the small jewelry too. Probably a bit heavier than some others out there though.

It occurs to me that sifting to catch items is the opposite of sluicing to retain the heavy.
Either way all of us like Heavy. Friend of mine in OC MD dug (Sifted) a heavy, .... heaviest gold ring I've ever seen.. 14k 100 plus grams

Just bought this one.
Delivered via mail 20 hrs later from $ being transfered.
2 mm thick, made in Poland, 6.25 lbs.
$150 all in Delivered

20240207_124553.jpg
20240207_124531.jpg
20240207_124519.jpg

Just bought this one.
Delivered via mail 20 hrs later from $ being transfered.
2 mm thick, made in Poland, 6.25 lbs.
$150 all in Delivered

View attachment 2130646View attachment 2130647View attachment 2130648
I can almost guarantee you that those upper corners where the struts come down from the tube will crack eventually. They need good strong gussets in those corners Another couple of gussets running down from the top plate to the rear panel is another area of concern when pushing that rear plate with your foot to penetrate hard bottoms. The shaft tube connection looks a bit sketchy too. I don't see any way to tighten the connection to keep the shaft from wobbling. Dry sand and occasional wet sand, it would probably work decent for a while. Constant wet sand use, no way it would hold up to what I put them through.

I can almost guarantee you that those upper corners where the struts come down from the tube will crack eventually. They need good strong gussets in those corners Another couple of gussets running down from the top plate to the rear panel is another area of concern when pushing that rear plate with your foot to penetrate hard bottoms. The shaft tube connection looks a bit sketchy too. I don't see any way to tighten the connection to keep the shaft from wobbling. Dry sand and occasional wet sand, it would probably work decent for a while. Constant wet sand use, no way it would hold up to what I put them through.
The guy I bought it from his buddy makes them.
He said that he has 5 yrs on his scoop now without any problems.
He has turned on quite a few others to the scoop.
He said if there's any issues to let him know
It's a mix media where he detects, sand with a heavy gravel mix.
I know the beaches he does detect on, not a sugar sand for sure.
The thing is it breaks I have a few welding buddies close by.

I still use this go to for most digging. 😁
20240208_124702.jpg

Chuck, the original owner of Sunspot (Stealth scoops, plans to come back into making scoops, here are his words (

PS My proto-types are done and will be testing them in Brasil starting next week. I expect the reveal to be this July or August )

So, they went from Sunspot, to Owl, to Lavang, to Axe, and now closed? Yikes! Chuck, we need you back!
NO Sunspot sold to the company in CA. Owl Engineering , nothing to do with scoops , when he sold the company Owl engineering was a name the original owner came up with to make detector parts , that failed , he got out , Chuck is going to make scoops again , a few months out , new design , as far as your older scoops with weld issues , find a local weld shop to fix it , if you need a scoop now , Xtreme Scoops which also has handles that fit both T-Rex & the Sunspots , including his line , his scoops are made out of 316SS & if you want pricy Platinum , he makes them to , happy hunting !

NO Sunspot sold to the company in CA. Owl Engineering , nothing to do with scoops , when he sold the company Owl engineering was a name the original owner came up with to make detector parts , that failed , he got out , Chuck is going to make scoops again , a few months out , new design , as far as your older scoops with weld issues , find a local weld shop to fix it , if you need a scoop now , Xtreme Scoops which also has handles that fit both T-Rex & the Sunspots , including his line , his scoops are made out of 316SS & if you want pricy Platinum , he makes them to , happy hunting !
I think you mean titanium and not platinum. If not, that scoop would cost thousands of dollars! Steve's Detecting Rods also makes handles for most scoops, along with shafts for most detectors.

I think you mean titanium and not platinum. If not, that scoop would cost thousands of dollars! Steve's Detecting Rods also makes handles for most scoops, along with shafts for most detectors.
YA , lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back