✅ SOLVED Sportsman button help with date!

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I have seen this one posted before on here I think but can not find it for the life of me. This was dug in Richmond County, Virginia in a spot dating from the late 17th too mid 19th century. Button almost sounded like a trash signal for some odd reason and almost didn't dig it. Anyone seen this one before? thanks! :occasion14:

There is a bird in the middle of it, duck or quail? thanks!

It is almost like two buttons in one.. Where the bird is I can put my finger in it and move that piece around, it is kinda in trapped in a dome if you will with 1 bird on it facing left.

Attachments

• 101_0412.JPG
    101_0412.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 124
  • 101_0413.JPG
    101_0413.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 101_0414.JPG
    101_0414.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Hut, do you have a MACRO setting on your camera? It's represented by a little flower. If so, could you take some macro pics because these are too blurry to see the bird/duck. :) Breezie

Upvote 0
Thanks Breezie. Only got my cell phone camera but if know one can help ID it tonight when I get too work tomorrow I will break out the high dollar digital camera! Took one more photo that may help, the button is got lot of corrosion going on most of the stuff we pull out of the ground in Richmond County looks super fine from the rich sandy soil but this button is seen better days indeed!

Upvote 0
Thanks Breezie. Only got my cell phone camera but if know one can help ID it tonight when I get too work tomorrow I will break out the high dollar digital camera! Took one more photo that may help, the button is got lot of corrosion going on most of the stuff we pull out of the ground in Richmond County looks super fine from the rich sandy soil but this button is seen better days indeed!

It sorta looks like a quail, but we'll wait until tomorrow to see the real deal photo. Neat find :) Breezie

http://sgtriker.com/images/sb12.jpg

Upvote 0
It is almost like two buttons in one.. Where the bird is I can put my finger in it and move that piece around, it is kinda in trapped in a dome if you will with 1 bird on it facing left.

Attachments

• 101_0418.JPG
    101_0418.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0
It has the basic form of what button-collectors call Jacksonian buttons, because they were popular during the two-term Presidency of Andrew Jackson (1829-37). They were an early, developmental form of 2-piece brass button, in which experimentation was first being done with crimping something around/onto the front of a 1-piece brass button. (See photos below for examples of Jacksonian 2-piece buttons.) So, I think you've got a late-1820s-to-1830s Sportsman's (or "Sporting") button.

The out-of-focus backview photo kinda-sorta indicates your button might have a backmark. If so, please do the best you can at reading anything on it, and let us know the result.

Attachments

• button_Jacksonian-button_eagle_BRITISH-MADE_colour-backmark_1820s-1830s_12.5mm_TN_photobyDoninSJ.jpg
    button_Jacksonian-button_eagle_BRITISH-MADE_colour-backmark_1820s-1830s_12.5mm_TN_photobyDoninSJ.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 120
  • button_jacksonians_group_TN_postedbyIronPatch.jpg
    button_jacksonians_group_TN_postedbyIronPatch.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Upvote 0
When it popped out of the ground there was so much dirt on it when i started brushing the front off i thought the button was broke! so i started cleaning it off pretty quick then I noticed a drop in the center of the button (kinda like a dome) and saw a bird or eagle inside and noticed it was two buttons in one and thought that was pretty odd and noticed it had a very old look too it with the right type of shank on the back! 80% of the buttons we dig in Richmond County are flat buttons or a flower type civilian buttons from the 1850s+ and very few civil war relics.. I have personally never dug a Jacksonian button and have never even knew until now that these were Jacksonian buttons and if these date in the time period you indicated this would be the first button i find with a decoration on it that isnt from the 1850s+ all the buttons dug in this spot have been flats and nothing but flats and 1 civilian flower button with a backmark that dates to the 1850s . I cleaned the front of the button off pretty well and will work on the backmark part and see what this baby says! thanks alot mr.cannonball I really cant say thanks enough for the knowledge! :occasion14:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back