Spoon dating

Michaeld

Apr 28, 2019
Norfolk
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FE02EA79-82C2-4FDC-BE09-1151E7F5F5AE.jpegHello all, would anyone have an idea of the era this spoon would have been made? It’s very thin. It’s a shame it wasn’t whole. Many thanks! 4F5C19DB-BF6A-45E7-8E8D-22A3912F9DAF.jpeg

I tried to spoon with a date one time, but :tongue3: ... oh,no .. you said spoon dating .. my bad!:BangHead:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
BE061360-069F-4C7A-8E2E-0BB3DF4FF6AA.jpeg
Please post a picture of the back, as it helps to see how the stem is attached to the bowl. Also, what metal is it made of?

It’s got a green patina so I’m guessing some kind of copper alloy but I’m new to this and still learning lol

Upvote 0
View attachment 1713977

It’s got a green patina so I’m guessing some kind of copper alloy but I’m new to this and still learning lol

The way the stem attaches to the bowl does not closely resemble one of those in the figure below. Can you give us some context as to where you found it and what types of artifacts you found nearby? That could help zero in on the time frame.

Attachments

• Dating_spoons_chart.jpg
    Dating_spoons_chart.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
I tried to spoon with a date one time, but :tongue3: ... oh,no .. you said spoon dating .. my bad!:BangHead:

Nicccce buddy, you crack me up! :laughing7:

The other guys here have already supplied you with very helpful information, I'll just add my two cents.

I primarily detect early settlement sites here in Ontario and I find quite a few 'British-made' cutlery pieces.
Unfortunately, without the handle and a makers mark, it's quite difficult to determine a date for your spoon bowl Michael. :icon_scratch:

My best guess on the date range would be late 18th - early 19thc.
Dave

Upvote 0
The way the stem attaches to the bowl does not closely resemble one of those in the figure below. Can you give us some context as to where you found it and what types of artifacts you found nearby? That could help zero in on the time frame.
It was found on a small pasture field in a village which is an old roman town and the oldest find in that area is a 4th cent roman coin. Most of the finds have been around a couple of hundred years old. Thanks for all your help!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back