All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    670.7 KB · Views: 108
Welcome to t-net. Is it brass and did you clean it? My understanding is brass spikes were used in ship building. Lets see what the experts say.

Upvote 0
This is it as i found it on wednesday. Not cleaned or anything. Im not sure what the material is either, Any tests I can do at home to determine that?

Upvote 0
few more pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    667.9 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    568.1 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0
With all the pitting I find it hard to believe that at one time it wasn't oxidized to a very green or at least dark color.
It's definitely a bronze or brass spike I'm not going to speculate on how it wound up being so shiny but out of the ones that I have found that style of head tends to be more of the 1800's ships...but that's not 100%

ForumRunner_20141014_210033.png

Upvote 0
Like I said, Not been cleaned, I found it in a chunk of wood on wednesday on my vacation.

Upvote 0
If you still have the piece of wood please post a photo of it

Upvote 0
I left it at the condo...it was about a 4x4 tie, i wish i had brought it now

Upvote 0
With all the pitting I find it hard to believe that at one time it wasn't oxidized to a very green or at least dark color.
It's definitely a bronze or brass spike I'm not going to speculate on how it wound up being so shiny but out of the ones that I have found that style of head tends to be more of the 1800's ships...but that's not 100%

View attachment 1066608

I think you nailed it!

Upvote 0
Here are some brass/bronze ship spike. Yours is probably from 1800's, but it could be earlier (maybe 1700's) The piece of wood may be from the deck, or side of the ship. Wood preserves really well in the ocean, so it could be pretty old.

It's not letting me post the photo, so here is the link to it, so here is the link to it. Ironically, these spikes are finds on Treasurenet.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=185549&d=1332398288

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Next one you find leave it in the wood. I would think it would a nicer artifact that way.

Upvote 0
Here is a dated nail that I found imbedded in this weathered railroad tie;

Attachments

• CAM00053.jpg
    CAM00053.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • CAM00057.jpg
    CAM00057.jpg
    962.2 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
I'm sorry but what does that have to do with anything? And are you sure that's not just a measurement of the nail? Or did they throw them all away in 1926?
You should really pull that military button out of that pile :-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I actually posted that as an example of what baspinail thread here mentioned. If you don't like oh well you know what you can do, go fly a kite.

Next one you find leave it in the wood. I would think it would a nicer artifact that way.

Upvote 0
Huh... Okie dokie.
Oh I get it a nail in wood sorry

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back