✅ SOLVED Spear point? Finial? Plow point?

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not sure of the age of the house foundation, but it was located during an historical survey (prior to sub division approval) but doesn't show on my 1875 map.

One of the first things I find is this 7" pointed object. Iron, with some heft. Has a hole where I would assume a screw would go. On the bottom is raised tabs/ cross that I would assume would dig into the wood that was screwed on, preventing the wood from moving. Not sure where else to go with this.

the second item is non magnetic, and rang clear as true copper. It's just under 2" long, and hollow. Maybe part of a hinge? Lamp finial (but it's not threaded)/

Any thoughts????

DSCN9338.JPG DSCN9339.JPG DSCN9340.JPGDSCN9342.JPG DSCN9343.JPG DSCN9344.JPG DSCN9345.JPG DSCN9347.JPG DSCN9348.JPG DSCN9349.JPG

sickle bar mower tooth guard.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 9.38.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 9.38.03 PM.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would guess that an old one made of brass would be green .............. Just a guess tho ............

Upvote 0
All of the evidence is conclusive to it being very old IMO... brass that has been in the ground turns black, or a green so dark that it looks black. Now on the other hand most copper Synthesis of Malachite and Verdigris - Odinitydevelopes the eye appealing green color that we look for.
Verdigris:

Upvote 0
View attachment 1149309
Boy, that does look like the inner part of the powder measure. Well done!

I wonder if this new version is modeled after the old, or my find is modern?

That is a modern powder measure in the photo and I believe the piece you found is from a modern one too. I have never seen an antique powder measure of this style.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help!

I can mark this as solved.

Somewhere on this property is a house from 1700s.
I thought I found it. I'll keep looking......

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back