South San Diego Detectorist aquaintances wanted . . . I have Permissions !

I'm hoping the heat/humidity will ease up a bit before I start hitting inland sites. It's been brutal lately.

I'm hoping the heat/humidity will ease up a bit before I start hitting inland sites. It's been brutal lately.

Yeah. You guys just had some 100* and-more temp's lately, right ? All the more reason to hunt at night ! Doh :)

....NEXT WEEKEND ,Saturday, SEPTEMBER 23 , I WILL BE IN AND AROUND CAMP LOCKETT, CAMPO CALIFORNIA .
no specific areas yet and trying to get permission for the long closed/fenced Theatre . Many possibilities exist including the housing, and operating VFW , access to SOME of the parade and training grounds , many foundations and this property abuts the railroad-come-museum yard . On Google satellite maps , Forrest gate rd. Intersects with Hwy 94 . This road bisects the camp North to South (And parallels the Pacific Crest Trail, PCT from Mexico to Canada). Sheridan rd. bisects the camp East to West .
I have"prospected"these areas and many relics have been removed as well as personals, a few coins and militaria with few pull tabs !
If traveling SR-94 from town (94 frwy) eastbound , have your co-pilot search the north side surrounding hills that still have the old Stage Route remains , noted by the Chinese built, cliff-hanging roadways built of hand stacked bolders !

Cafe'B is a local restaurant at 1247 Sheridan Rd, Campo, CA 91906. Saturday 7AM—9PM closed Sun.

Fuel can be had at BUCKMAN SPRINGS rd.at Hwy 94 (SR-94/aka, Campo road).....a Subway sandwich/Chevron AND much cheaper fuel across the street next to a little Taco shop .

Camp Lockett WILL be made into a County Park then all relics will be off limits !
I hope the weather will be as nice as THIS weekend !

https://www.californiahistoricallandmarks.com/landmarks/chl-1045

HAPPY HUNTING !
Mark.

Edit; the area around this camp has seen the gold rush Era, Mexican American war, Spanish / Mexico encounters , Stage service and robberies , Train service and robberies to South of the Border, Civil War actions , Buffalo Solders , Gaskill Brothers shootout, an original crossing from Mexico and more !
M.

Last edited:
Mark, I'm a little over an hour away from Campo, short trip up the hill. This next week we'll be in Lincoln visiting grandchildren, daughters and the American river. I'll be up to some detecting after that if you'll have me. You said the equestrian area is off limits, how about the area where the short track oval is? I will get in touch with you when back from the NorCal trip, time and place is your call. Thanks for posting this.

On a side note....after reading the earlier posts I got in touch with Chris Wray and ordered a copy of The Historic Backcountry (thanks Tom, PayPal comission is on the way). It has been a pretty good information day.

dsrtdwg1. . . Hope you're rested from your visit. Please see above .
Mark.

Hi Mark!
I live in the Temecula area and would enjoy a hunting partner.
Taking time off work starting 10/1 to just relax for a bit.
Let me know if you still would like a partner to hunt with. Looks like we are going to start to see some cooler weather very soon! 107° is a tad bit hot to be swinging for any length of time! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....Hi DiggerGal !
Please see above !
Mark.

Hi Mark, tell me a time and the area you will be at and and I am ready Saturday. I can get away anytime during the week except Wed.AM if you are up to weekday hunts. It is your call, thanks for the invite.

Nominate for Banner. You could hold a hold a national hunt, maybe a small prize (a painted rock with google eyes), get some folks interested, and find some fantastic pieces of history, invite local archaeology students out, wrangle some kids on a coined plain for fun. I just think its a fantastic generous offer to hunt in a very wildly environment than west of the Mississippi.

Where should we meet up and what time?

Hi Mark, tell me a time and the area you will be at and and I am ready Saturday. I can get away anytime during the week except Wed.AM if you are up to weekday hunts. It is your call, thanks for the invite.

....Looks like we are on for this Saturday. Meeting at the little restaurant on Sheridan, above and time TBD .
I have PM'd those expressing interest in this informal hunt. Meeting time will be unofficial but I have requested those with the longest distance to respond with a suggested time to meet and discuss.
I will supply a contact number in a PM only.

Last edited:
....Was thinking Saturday at the little restaurant mentioned !? Time TBD

What is your appx drive time. An hour average for some others .

I am about 1.5 hours away. What's the name of the restaurant on Sheridan?

CAMP LOCKETT HUNT , SEPTEMBER 23 , CAMPO CALIFORNIA. :usflag:

....We will meet at Cafe B between 09:00 and 09:30 ! The information is on page #2 of this thread.

This is a casual hunt , meet and greet ! You need no invitation !

Thank you for your interest.

Mark.

EDIT....................A SHORT VIDEO AND OVERVIEW.

http://www.cssmus.org

Pages-from-Locketts.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back