Something Ive been thinking about

B

BigDan

Something I've been thinking about

Just looking for opinions. Someone mentioned in another post how you can order bags of dirt from North Carolina, etc. I actually did this recently. A couple years ago, My wife, stepdaughter, and I vacationed in North Carolina and caught the "mining" bug at Emerald Hollow Mines in Hiddenite. We all want to go back.

So, for Christmas I ordered some bags of mine dirt from North Carolina. I watched my family turn the dining room into a mess, as they dug through the dirt finding treasure upon treasure of garnets, emeralds, rubies, and other pretty stones. It is these stones that I'm still trying to find someone to cut for us.

Price? Compared to being in North Carolina, it is about ten times the cost. I would never do it for more than a gift.

But, I have wondered, and here is the question, if a guy started a business based, in part, on purchasing truckloads of dirt from various North Carolina mines and bringing it back to Illinois, bagging it up, and selling it for a healthy profit...would it sell?

There is a quartz mine in Arkansas that could be added to have more variety. And I'm sure other places if I spent the time to research.

Re: Something I've been thinking about

Definition of "healthy profit" needed. Some might call the loss a tax write-off and as such a counter to other taxable income that cannot otherwise be exempted. In this sense it could serve the "profit" motive.

On the other hand, operating a travel agency that caters to individuals who share this fascination might be a better option. Maybe setup booking agreements with all the treasure warm spots of the world and offer group discounts. Easier to move people than dirt, cheaper on your end too, no inventory or material considerations to speak of for your time invested.

BTW, my usual compensation package for consultancy has been waived in favor of the one free trip per year package (my choice of destinations) you're setting up for me.

Thanks for the advice. But it might seem like driving a tour bus to Vegas. A "job" I don't think I could handle.

I don't know, it seems like people there get "dirt fever" pretty bad at those mines. And the cost to take time off work, travel, stay somewhere...I just think maybe bringing the dirt to Illinois?

Just thinking. Not very treasure related anyway.

Agh!!! I gotta get out digging soon.

Sometimes idleness is the mother of invention. . . (or something like that :P)

Might be worth a shot for a few bags. . . get the neighbors involved
and if they find something cool. . . well, look what happened in CA in 1849 ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back