Some silvers, civil war button and mystery button

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpgMe and a buddy had a great hunt today. I got a merc and a Rosie early on and later hunting an old homesite I dug a general service eagle button. I’ve previously dug my share of civil war relics but this was my first cw button. Also dug the interesting buckle/clip thing that features 5 stars. If anyone knows what it is please let me know. I also need help identifying the second button. The back is gone and it hard to read. It looks like bars with stars at the ends with the letters “c”and “A”. Maybe confederate army? Thanks for looking!90AAD1F4-72CF-460E-B30A-118F2368F026.jpeg4EE90167-59CF-42A7-89C3-9962AC69F40B.jpeg2374423B-425C-490D-877F-9CC269F69072.jpeg150E5DAB-E6D5-4E8C-8C99-1EAB39185B4A.jpeg

Upvote 19
I think it is more likely a civilian button, perhaps a communications button, aka "call to quarters" uniform button.

[The “CQ” call is a call to “all stations”, and it has been around since the earliest days of “wireless” or “radio”. Its use predates formal regulation of radio procedures. It is mentioned for the first time in the 1912 International Radio Regulations as
“CQ Enquiry signal employed by a station which desires to correspond“

Actual origins of CQ are disputed, one explanation is that landline telegraphers used CQ as some form of “wake-up call” to alert operators that messages were on their way, and this was carried over to wireless operation.
It formally belongs to the family of “prosigns” or “procedure signals”.
The use of CQ differs somewhat between professional or commercial radio and amateur radio.
When a commercial station calls “CQ” it is to alert the listeners that a message “to all” follows. It is implicit that no station should answer the call, unless they are mentioned in the following message.
In amateur radio, the CQ is an invitation to answer to any or all stations that have heard the call and wishes to correspond with the originating station.]

Thanks for the info. I will look into it. The only thing I would say is we found some late 1700-mid1800s buttons and two other confined civil war era buttons in the same area. No modern anything. You may be correct but it just seems out of place if it’s from that much later time period.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back