Dirtyhands001

Jul 8, 2013
Canada
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some of the best metal detecting tips given by some of the best in the hobby. If your a beginner and just learning how to metal detect I am sure you will enjoy these tips. We have Dave Wise, Thiltzy Todd Hiltz, Jeff Fisher from treasure facts, Brandon Dr. Tones 24k, Frank W Pandozzi and Charles Ronayne from the Stealth Diggers. I hope some of these great tips help you. We will release part 2 The best of DigTips next week.

1."Don't get frustrated when you start, be patient and persistent". by Dave Wise

2."Slow down, go slow" by Dave Wise, Todd Hiltz, Jeff Fisher

3."remember it's not always treasure so be patient"by Dave Wise

4. "Hunting a site in more than one way. Try using different setting on your machine and swing the same areas. You could pick up things up that were being masked by iron". by Todd Hiltz

5."Make sure your coil is flat to the ground". You will get better depth and miss less targets" Jeff Fisher

6."How to ask permissions to metal detect private property, First thing, make sure to leave your equipment in the car". by Brandon Ray Niece aka Dr. Tones from his book The Metal Detecting Bible

7. "When your asking for a new permission make sure your not in your old dirty ripped up digging cloths or holding something in your hands looking like a salesman. clean casual is best". Brandon Ray Niece aka Dr. Tones from his book The Metal Detecting Bible

8. "Make sure to take two steps backwards from the door after knocking, give them space." Brandon Ray Niece Dr. Tones aka from his book The Metal Detecting Bible

9. "It doesn't matter how much you pay for your machine, what's important is learning it. Dominique Ivy Da Silva from The SilverSlingers

10. "Exploring a new cellar site, When exploring we look for things out of the ordinary. Like seeing a big maple in the middle of no where, depressions in the ground, pieces of glass or pottery shards, or a plant called Myrtle Perry Winkle, they used this plant as ground cover. It helped stop erosion". by Frank W. Pandozzi

12. "Be good to each other, share what you learn and what you know". by Charles Ronayne from the Stealth Diggers.

Upvote 0
find a use for pull tabs and bottle caps

My tip is...... DO NOT get into detecting!!! It's worse than being a drug addict! The more you find the more you want. You're looking for that next rush. Not being able to get out to search gives you withdrawls. During the winter storms ALL you can think about is that next fix. Once you start you'll never be able to quit.

You think I'm kidding? Do you get the shakes when you find gold or silver? Yup! You're hooked my friend.

Whahahaha! Love it, so true!

You won't find the treasure if you don't dig the trash. Oh and always use hand sanitizer b4 you break for lunch.

Another great point, I also carry baby wipes to clean up against poison ivy :)

Well it had to happen. The only day I didnt wear gloves. Digging in a sandbar along the edge of the riverbank near a city park I got a real good signal. So I pushed the sand away with my hand. If it looks like poo, smells like poo, dont put your fingers in your mouth. Of course the river is dry this time of year and I did not have any baby wipes lol. Maybe I should get some for my bag?

LOL Yeah, when you are digging in horse manure, bring a digging tool, something more than a screwdriver..

Another tip is, "When in doubt, dig it!" You'll be pleasantly surprised from time to time.

Your first hour of metal detecting will probably go a whole lot better then mine, if you remove your watch.
Every handful of dirt I would hold up to the coil would beep like crazy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back