36.5 KB · Views: 500
  • todays finds 007.JPG
    todays finds 007.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 497
  • todays finds 008.JPG
    todays finds 008.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 500
Upvote 0
Nice finds. I see your fingers in the picture but could we see the coin next to something else for size comparison?

its about the size of a nickle but vary thin

Attachments

• old coin 001.JPG
    old coin 001.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 485
Much better Picture. I see the shield on the coin. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it is. Is it copper or tarnished silver? It almost looks silver in the picture. How deep was it and what did it register as on your detector. Whatever it is, it's a good find.

It looks like a Colonial-era coin. Don in SJ will nail for ya!

Bone Dry Detecting...Kyle out of PA :D

Delaware37, it sure looks oooold. Hope someone will be able to indentify it for you....Cool find!!!

You really fooled me when you put that buffalo nickel in your pic....I thought it was the other side of your coin....tricky!!! ;D

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

i placed the buffalo there for size comparison sorry i cant make out any thing on the other side

Captn_SE said:
Delaware37, I see the Indian Head on the obverse, very similar to the buffalo nickel, but with the shield on the back, I'm stumped. Maybe one of those "Hobo Nickels".

Hope someone will be able to indentify it for you....Cool find!!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

I have to agree with you Captn, It is a Hobo Nickel.

Les

is it copper or silver? also where was it found? it looks kind of colonial to me. ( the nickel on the left was put there for size comparison 8))

I can't recall any American coins that look like that so I'll guess colonial as well. But it's only a guess.

If numbers 007 and 008 are about 1" long, they could be US Army qualification bars.
If so, they would say something like "Rifle", "Machine Gun", "Pistol", or something similar.

delaware37 said:
I see an indian head as like the buffalo nickle my guess would be a hobo nickle.
if you look close at the head of the indian you can see a head band on him
this is surly a hobo made from a buffalo nickle
excelent find
check this out see the head bands on some.
this one may have said harley on the head band further cleaning may help
http://www.rarecoinsofraleigh.com/hobo_nickel_gallery.htm

imafishingnutt said:
delaware37 said:
I see an indian head as like the buffalo nickle my guess would be a hobo nickle.
excelent find
The nickel is just for size comparison. That literally IS a buffalo nickel on the left.

Evolution said:
imafishingnutt said:
delaware37 said:
excelent find
The nickel is just for size comparison. That literally IS a buffalo nickel on the left.
yes but look he has a headband on.... this is a hobo nickle
hope this helps

imafishingnutt said:
Evolution said:
imafishingnutt said:
delaware37 said:
excelent find
yes but look he has a headband on.... this is a hobo nickle
OK. I get it now. You're saying the nickel is a hobo nickel. LMAO!!!! The picture is a little too dark for me to accurately tell. I can't see much detail on the nickel.

Perhaps it is a button with a design on one side, hard to tell from the blurry photos but is there any sign of a shank being attached on the non shield side.

I know of no shield like that and the coin is too small to be a farthing , I believe.....

For now, without more information I say button, as a possiblity.

Don

Added: Just wanted to say I have had many like this where I spent hours looking and finally concluded button, when you start concentrating on the other side and look for any sign of a shank being attached at one time, any marks in the center on that side make that a possiblity and it looks like there is something going on in that area. But for me to say definite from a photo in cases like this, no, just some intelliegent or at least hopefully intelligent guessing. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back