✅ SOLVED Some Kind OF Silver Spoon Or Something?

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Hi All,

I had a good hunt today, which I will eventually post in the todays forum. But I thought I would try to see what this is exactly before I do. When I dug it up I said to myself what neat find indeed. It measures just over 3 1/2 inches long and is on the thin side. I thought maybe a kids toy plaything, but not sure at all. The mark on the back says L.K.Hills. So if anyone has any idea of what it actually is and the age of it that would be really cool. I have been researching all my silver bookmark sites since I came home and I am like this now :BangHead:. Well thanks for looking and helping if you can.

Bubba65

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    788.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    848.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 128
neat find, look at how small it is...anyone trace the markings?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the ID, what age do you think it is from?

Hey Bubba,

I don't know for sure, but do think it's early. From the above article, "Another clue is the shape of a spoon’s shoulder, which is the junction between a spoon’s bowl and its handle. “Earlier spoons didn’t have a shoulder,” continues Perrin, “and then around 1800 or 1805, they started to have quite a sharp shoulder. As time went on, by 1820 or so, they had rounded shoulders, and after about 1850, the shoulders of some spoons disappeared again.”

I was unable to chase anything up on "L.K. Hills."

Forgedspoons-1-.jpg

Upvote 0
Cool Find! I found a fork with the identical pattern and was told that it was called "Fiddle Thread" and dated to the 1860's.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back