Some kind of lead weight??

Henry Smoot

May 19, 2006
Charleston SC

Attachments

• 2feb2008 005.jpg
    2feb2008 005.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 350
Are you sure it is lead. Patina looks different than most lead that has been in the ground for a long time. Have you tried to scrape it a bit in an inconspicuous place to actually see if it grey and soft?

Daryl

Upvote 0
It's lead for sure. It is actually a little more gray than this picture makes is look. It was in salty soil next to the marsh which may have given it this color. I'm not gonna put too much thought into this one, just curious it it was actually for some specific purpose. Could have been for a crab hand line or something....thanks Henry

Upvote 0
I say it's a hand-made fishing weight. I live by coastal towns that date back to the 1800s. After storms on the beach, erosion reveals coins and targets from by-gone eras. Lead objects like that, start appearing when it gets down to barbers and seateds era. We reasoned they are fishing weights, because the have a hole in them.

Although today, people may buy ready-made fishing sinkers, back then people no doubt made their own. You say you found it next to a marsh, so maybe there was a body of water there, for fishing, at one time?

Upvote 0
??? If is was found near a Marsh, It could have been used as a drop weight to hold Duck decoys in place,while hunting Idig

Upvote 0
Henry, I found this one in the "dump fill dirt" site I was lucky enough to hunt last month.... after seeing yours I had to go out to the "trash bucket" and pull this out and photo it... exact same shape and everything...
Chitlin

Attachments

• leadweight.JPG
    leadweight.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 190
Upvote 0
Hey, how bout that!! Must have been made for something...oh well. Guess I can use my imagination. I saw your other post also. Sometimes I may go a while before I get on a good spot, then it may last for a long time, maybe a few years depending on how big it is and where it's at. I had permission to hunt an old plantation on John's Island and literally spent about 5 years on it. I found pretty much everything you could think of. It is now all new homes so I am always looking for a new spot like that. There are plenty out there, we just have to let the development catch up and get on it at the right time...Henry

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back