Some kind of copper clamp

Kevin75931

Oct 9, 2016
Jasper Texas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found near where a house stood up until the 1920s or 1930s. I do not know what happened to the house.

Measures 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide, made out of copper.

I figure it is a ground clamp. Trying it on a piece of pipe it fits a 2 inch pipe, which measures 2 3/8 outside diameter. So what kind of ground clamp needs to fit a piece of 2 inch pipe?

I am trying to figure out the house location. I know close to where the house was at and was hoping this can help in my search.

Attachments

• copper-clamp-1.jpg
    copper-clamp-1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 59
  • copper-clamp-2.jpg
    copper-clamp-2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 70
One half of a grounding clamp. It would have been used to ground electricity to a pipe or stake. Your's maybe older but they are still made today with usually two screws holding the clamp together. If the well was a two inch pipe in the ground then you used a two inch clamp.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One half of a grounding clamp. It would have been used to ground electricity to a pipe or stake. Your's maybe older but they are still made today with usually two screws holding the clamp together. If the well was a two inch pipe in the ground then you used a two inch clamp.

Thank you and grounding to a well is not something I thought about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

It's an old fashioned way of grounding electricity found even today in rural areas but not code approved. A well pipe driven into the ground full of water is an excellent ground. Code here would be an 8 ft. stake dedicated to and at your panel box. The problem with grounding to the well is that in old copper and metal pipe systems is it can travel to the plumbing fixtures and everything would be live at that moment. :icon_shaking2:

Upvote 0
If this is the area you refer to as fitting a 2" pipe, then I can't see this as being part of a ground clamp.
Also, where would the ground wire tie into?
copper-clamp-1.jpg

Upvote 0
There are markings between the two holes, something like "C.?? Co. 1/8" (I can't figure that fraction makes any sense, but that's what it looks like). If we were able to figure the marks out, maybe that would make a positive ID easy?

Upvote 0
^ I agree w/ vhs07.
This doesn't look like a pipe ground clamp to me either, though it may be some other sort of electrical connector.

Can the OP please post a photo (looking into) the far right thickest part of the item?

Upvote 0
If this is the area you refer to as fitting a 2" pipe, then I can't see this as being part of a ground clamp.
Also, where would the ground wire tie into?
View attachment 1368997

Yes.

There are markings between the two holes, something like "C.?? Co. 1/8" (I can't figure that fraction makes any sense, but that's what it looks like). If we were able to figure the marks out, maybe that would make a positive ID easy?

C.-S. Co. 1/2"

^ I agree w/ vhs07.
This doesn't look like a pipe ground clamp to me either, though it may be some other sort of electrical connector.

Can the OP please post a photo (looking into) the far right thickest part of the item?

IMG_6739 (Custom).JPGIMG_6740 (Custom).JPG

There is a small solid wire that is soldered into the hole.

The area where this was found did not get electrify until the 1950s. The house was gone by the 1930s.

Could it have come off a telegraph line?

I found a Model T tire valve stem nearby. Could the thing have come off a car?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back